welded posi rear

i wish to turn my limited slip 12bolt diff into a welded posi.

it's a 76' pontiac TA with 3.73's. any pics or how-to's out there ?? yes, i wish to weld the diff so it becomes a no-slip posi.

thanks.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

From what I understand it's not that hard, but it'll tear your rear end apart eventually.

Are you entering it in a demolition derby?

Is your limited slip not working properly? Welding is usually not advised as it puts great stress on the rear axle.

Just weld the spider gears to the axle ends... viola no-slip posi.

Reply to
Clem

Thats what I was wondering, unless your drag racing only and going in straight lines it shouldnt be welded. If thats what he's doing then I understand doing this. Boy I cant wait for someone to ask the same question for a fwd vehicle, LOL.

Anyhow if you goto

and search for "Welded differential" somethings bound to turn up.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

In my old dirt track racing days,we used to weld the spider gears in 4 places to lock the rear ,or use a spool. However, how in hell are you going to drive this car on the street? In order to make turns,one wheel has to roll a shorter distance that the other. Thats why a Posi is designed to lock ,but the slippage is necessary to drive the car. If you think the Posi is not working correctly,change the fluid, and add a GM additive that can be purchased at the parts counter. A positraction and a limited slip differential are the same thing,it is just a different maketing term ,used by the manifacturer.

Reply to
Philip Wagner

it's a 76' with alot of engine and tranny work done to it. nitrous also. pontiac 400 bored 60over, trw pistoms, crazy cran cam, holly 700 dbl pumper and 2 NOS wet fogger nozzles in the 1" carb spacer.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Oh yeah! Wouldn't that fry the posi clutches anyway? lol

Definitely do not enter that in a demo derby!

Reply to
Clem