E85 Conversion Kit

Page 1 of 3
Anyone out there know of any "known good, reliable, and simple" E85 conversion kit that fits and works on the Dodge 4.7L V8?

Why would you want to do that?
Laszlo Almasi
Carolina Watercraft Works wrote:

Maybe the OP justs wants to break Federal emissions laws? Since there are NO legal conversion kits made.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

If you want to stay with a V8 Mopar gas truck, your best bet just might be the Hemi with MDS. Another option might be a turbo-diesel. E85 and flex-fuel are just short term stopgaps, and not very good ones at that.

I don't understand why the MDS system can't be an add-on or modification to any V8. But then again, I don't understand the details behind it either. I do know it's mostly electrical though. I would go for that in a heartbeat if it were available.

It's not mostly electrical - the biggest part of it is the solenoid-deactivated lifter that stops the valves from operating. To retrofit MDS into an existing engine would require a new block to house the special lifters, solenoids, and oil passages to fee the solenoids - essentially requiring a whole new engine.
I stand corrected, than you. I guess there is not much that can be done besides telecommuting when I can.

You could always trade for a new one..

it IS a new one. I just bought it in July.

Then, maybe a newer one...

You would think it could just be done electronically... I mean - don't energize the fuel injector, and don't fire the plug (not that it would really matter without any fuel). I guess that pumping so much regular air (rich in oxygen) through the exhaust would confuse the hell out of the O2 sensors (and probably burn up the cats, too), so they have to disable the intake/exhaust valves on the 'dead' cylinders.
Ah well... hydrogen power is just around the corner, anyway. In 30 years or so, we'll all laugh about how much we used to pay for gasoline. Yeah..... sure..... :)

Funny you should say that as just yesterday Honda was beginning their advertising for their upcoming fuel cell vehicle. If they actually start production any time soon, the American auto manufacturers will be saying bye-bye for good.

TBone wrote:

Wonder where they'll get the H2 for the tank?
Seems "upcoming" would have to be a good 10 years away just from an infrastructure requirements POV.
Of course the H2 could always come from gasoline, but then, we'd still not be free from the dang stuff!
SMH
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 20:47:16 +0000, Stephen Harding wrote:

not only infrastructure insufficiency concerns, but what about the danger of handling the stuff? would you trust the average idiot on the road to fuel a fuel cell vehicle?
--
Chris

Do you really think that gasoline is any safer????

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:46:24 -0500, TBone wrote:

the military doesnt drop gasoline bombs....
aside from that, no i dont trust the average idiot with a piece of paper much less a match and anything that might catch fire.
but i live in a state where they put braille letters on the DRIVE UP ATM....need i say more?
--
Chris

They don't drop hydrogen gas bombs either.

And yet, many of them pump their own gas which is actually far more dangerous.

LOL, they are all like that and it is scary.

Not true.. Well, no it's partially true. They don't drop them anymore, but they used too. Some variants of Napalm were made from jellied gasoline.

My thoughts exactly, Stephen. Unless they can source the hydrogen from something other than oil, they haven't really accomplished all that much.
Mike