GPS map making

im a dedicated RUV/ATV trail rider, and montana has hundreds of miles of amazing trails. the only problem with them is that the trails arent mapped,
and youre lucky if you can find a BLM official who can tell you where to find the trailheads. ive decided that i want to ride and map every trail i can find in montana, to publish online.
i want a setup that i can turn on, drive all the trails to make the maps, and save the maps to my computer. id like to also have the ability to mark and note certain spots, such as a dangerous hill or camping spot. i dont know what i need to do this or how to go about it, but i currently have a http://inlinediesel.com/tech/desk setup as well as a handheld gramin e-map (basic, not very impressive by todays standards).
what would be the best way to accomplish this? thanks!
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

Most GPS software I have seen will plot where you've been. Microsoft's Streets and Trips will do this. The map can then be saved as a web page. Not sure about other file formats.

im aware of the tracking features, but dont know how to annotate spots, mark spots, combine maps, etc.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com
-0600, Nathan W. Collier wrote:

Usually it's called a "waypoint." Look for that in the software menu. Even on my handheld Garmin, I can set waypoints, and assign 6 letter/number designations for them. BUMP6, CURVE1, HILL13, etc. Certainly you can get more descriptive than that when you have a whole computer at hand.
Nathan, I think what you are looking for in MS Streets and Trips is the "Pushpin" Look at the bottom Left corner of your screen when you open the program. HTH, Tom

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:20:14 -0600, "Nathan W. Collier"

try this link and see if it's what you need. http://www.delorme.com/topousa/whatsnew.asp
Paul ***

Well, I've never tried this, but: With the Delome street atlas, you can run your route with the GPS on, naming the file before you start and saving it at the end, then replay the GPS log like a movie... I'd guess that with this and the draw feature, you could make your own map... I've modified an existing map with the draw program when it didn't know that a road that used to go through town bypassed it..
Funny that you asked, I was just thinking that I should have done sort of what you want to do over the weekend.... We can't find a gps program that covers Baja Calif. and it's a PITA to not have it on our trips, so I was thinking of leaving the GPS on and marking a bunch of "vias" and "stops" along the route on the way home from Baja to CA... then drawing the hiway in... Naturally, I forgot to do that.. lol
Mac