oil viscosity

Page 1 of 3
I just bought a 2001 Ram, 3.9L. No owners manual. What is the reccomended oil viscosity for this time of year? Is it 5W-30 or 10W-30 or is there any
change with the temperatures? Thanks.

Where do you live, what type of temps do you see? If you want a good all season go with a 10/30 or 10/40

I'm in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Usually, temps aren't higher than 80-85 in the summer, maybe a week stretch of 90s. Right now, it's about 60 with overnight lows in the 30s. I'm going to order the manual, but I want to get the oil changed ASAP.

I would stay with the 10/30 or 10/40 and you won't have any concerns.

there
than
60
want
Don't use 10W40. Put 10W30 in it and read the manual when it comes.
Al

Why are you saying not to use 10/40?
azwiley1 wrote:

Maybe he's bitter about his taxes?
Craig C.

That was horrible. <VBG>

Dude, that was WEAK! I think you need a few more nasty castle burgers!
azwiley1 wrote:

Nah, that'll kill the buzz.
:-) Craig C.

LOL

Next we will hear from the Rabbit raving about those pos burger's.
Larry, truck race @ 5:30

Have to miss the truck race for two reasons, I am going to look at a house near work and there is a hockey game on.

Because it is like the last oil grade you want to use if it is conventional. Back in the 80's they thought is was the cats meow but they found out it is not and no new cars from Detriot are approved for its usage and have nor been for years. It has to do with the hi VI content of oil the can cook out and gum up a modern hot running engine. (grant that some 10w40 are better than other quality wise but it is best avoided) Use 10w30 spring, summer, fall and maybe 5w20 in winter if it get below zero a lot. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

higher
about
Because it says in the manual NOT to use it. It says to use 5W30 or 10W30 depending on temperature range and specifically says not to use 10W40. At least in my manual it says that. That's why I advised him to read the his manual when he gets it.
Try http://www.in-n-out.com/ burgers and you'll forget about belly bombers. They opened a new one in Tucson Thursday. The line was over three hours long. Some guy was in the line about 20 minutes, he drove to Phoenix and bought some, drove back and the guy that was behind him was still waiting in line. Some people ran out of gas waiting:) They did the same thing when the Crispy Cream opened in the same building a few years ago. They went bust and sold the building to In an Out.
Al
Kar wrote:

From the 2001 FSM:
http://i14.tinypic.com/2uejrk4.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/455mfb4.jpg
--
Ken

Ken-that's what I have too but that chart shows the 3.2 and 3.5. I couldn't see anything on the 3.9.
All-thanks for the replies and if you have more info, this is interesting.

Well, I can tell you that when I lived in Maryland with similar temps, I ran red line or royal purple syn oil, 15 (or 20) w-50 in the summer, and would drop to 10/40 for winters. Here in AZ, I run royal purple 20/50 all year in my truck and bike.
punkin:

Who cares?
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni

i do barrell. i care a lot more about that than i do about the inane crap that you post. in fact barrell, about the only thing that you post about is snotroll and how smart he is. well, actually now that i think about it, you don't post about how smart he is. you just post that he is not any more stupid than anyone else.
you are still wrong though. he is much more stupid.
and barrell, you need to branch out more. post about things besides snotroll. he is pretty much a lost cause. not because i (dumb guy) don't think he knows shit and not because pumkin (sorry roy) thinks so, but just because he is. he has earned it. he has simply out stupid'd everyone. if that impresses you..........well, i am not surprised. just wondering though.........are you his son or daughter? i'm just wondering because you defend him even when it is beyond ridiculous. if you are not, why do you feel that you have to come to his defense? do you not think that he is capable of defending himself? isn't that a much worse comment than anything that pumpkin (sorry roy), i (the dumb guy) or larry (can't remember what you called him, sorry barrell) have said? i mean, why would you be so premsumptive to think that you have to chase windmills and come to his aid? the only reason that i can think of is that you don't think that he is able to defend himself and you are so emotional over that that you feel that you must rush to save his honor. wow. that is really a low blow barrel; to snotroll i mean. you have slammed him more than any of us could ever do. i would say thank you but you probably owe him an apology.