oil viscosity

I just bought a 2001 Ram, 3.9L. No owners manual. What is the reccomended oil viscosity for this time of year? Is it 5W-30 or 10W-30 or is there any change with the temperatures? Thanks.

Reply to
Kar

Where do you live, what type of temps do you see? If you want a good all season go with a 10/30 or 10/40

Reply to
azwiley1

I'm in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Usually, temps aren't higher than

80-85 in the summer, maybe a week stretch of 90s. Right now, it's about 60 with overnight lows in the 30s. I'm going to order the manual, but I want to get the oil changed ASAP.
Reply to
Kar

I would stay with the 10/30 or 10/40 and you won't have any concerns.

Reply to
azwiley1

Don't use 10W40. Put 10W30 in it and read the manual when it comes.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Why are you saying not to use 10/40?

Reply to
azwiley1

From the 2001 FSM:

Nosey

Ken-that's what I have too but that chart shows the 3.2 and 3.5. I couldn't see anything on the 3.9.

All-thanks for the replies and if you have more info, this is interesting.

Reply to
Kar

Maybe he's bitter about his taxes?

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Well, I can tell you that when I lived in Maryland with similar temps, I ran red line or royal purple syn oil, 15 (or 20) w-50 in the summer, and would drop to 10/40 for winters. Here in AZ, I run royal purple

20/50 all year in my truck and bike.
Reply to
azwiley1

You folks talking about oil and what to use and not to use brought this to mind. Years ago 10w-30 or 40 were just fine. After the non stop trip to Fl. I checked the oil, actually checked a couple of times enroute. Anyway down

1/2 quart so I looked in the om to see what to get so I could add, 0w-40 Mobil1 at $5.90 a quart. Seems a whole lot thin to me, but that's what they want in it. So with all the bs about warranty claims I'm not about to put anything else in it.
Reply to
Roy

How could using a different viscosity oil other then what the om RECOMMENDS void or in anyway create an issue with the warrany? Mike, care to chim in here?

Reply to
azwiley1

That was horrible.

Reply to
Roy

Dude, that was WEAK! I think you need a few more nasty castle burgers!

Reply to
azwiley1

Wipe a bearing with a oil that is thicker and they could claim restricted flow. I know the 6.1 hemi in the charger has piston squirter's, maybe they are the reason.

With my Z06, GM would void a transmission if it did not have the factory recommended stuff in it. I switched to red line and had to take it out, Story was it was too slippery and the syncros needed more friction to work properly. The ZF box was a unit exchange. If you screwed up you ate the 6K for the new tranny.

Not nice but it is what it is. If my engine goes south, I kinda want the warranty to fall back on. There aren't many of these 6.1 in the bone yard.

Reply to
Roy

With the trans, I can understand that, using red line, they have a friction modifier that you could have used and it would have fixed your issue.

Reply to
azwiley1

Nah, that'll kill the buzz.

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

LOL

Reply to
azwiley1

That was discussed at length, to no avail. GM builds and sells ya a friggin' race car then hand cuffs ya.

At least the SRT engineers respond to problems and help to resolve them.

Reply to
Roy

Next we will hear from the Rabbit raving about those pos burger's.

Larry, truck race @ 5:30

Reply to
Roy