QUINCY IL DODGE DEALER SUCKS

My 2000 Ram 1500 Dodge truck was a great runner. No Problems at all. Good gas mileage. Just a damn fine truck.

Then the service engine light came on.

Took it Shottenkirk Dodge on Broadway in Quincy, IL.

The service manager said the code said it was a transmission problem.

I have a drive train warranty, so no problem.

THREE MONTHS LATER.

When I went to get it the first time and started home, it would shift 1st to

2nd ok but, when you went to slow down, there was this clunk like it was trying to shift up or down. THEN, when I went to speed up from 40 mph it started to shudder.

After several times in the dealership, sometimes for a couple of days, sometimes for a week. They would change the shift patterns so the shudder would move up paqst 60 mph. But, when they did that, it screwed up the shift pattern.

1st to 2nd ok. 2nd to 3rd ok. 3rd wouldn't shift in 4th until 53 mph, and at 52 mph it would downshift to 3rd.

After 3 months, SHOTTENKIRK of QUINCY IL. gave me my keys and said they couldn't fix it.

So, I drove it that way for 3 or 4 months when another Dodge Dealer, LITTLE JESS DODGE OF EDINA MISSOURI contacted me about a new truck. When I told him about my problem with SHOTTENKIRK of QUINCY, IL, Little Jess said they could fix the problem.

6 solid weeks later, he sent the truck to another dealer and told me I could go there and pick it up.

NOW, the truck is worse than before. LITTLE JESS said they rebuilt the transmission completely.

Now, from 1st to 2nd up to 15mph. But in 2nd, you have to go faster than 35 mph for it to shift into 3rd and at 30 mph it will downsfit to 2nd. It will stay into third until 45 mph and under 40 mph it will downshift to 3rd.

It will not shift into 4th until 53 mph and under 53 mph it will downshift to 3rd.

When it is in 2nd and you speed up to say 32 or better and you let up on the gas it will clank and shift into 3rd and if you give it any gas, it will downshift back to 2nd.

The gas mileage has gone down 20%.

I contacted DODGE Company and they said they can't get into any disputes and refuse answer any emails.

I guess I will end up trading back to a CHEVY.

Reply to
Sillysam

Why don't you just go after them under the lemon law and get your money back

Reply to
TBone

Exactly. 3 repairs on same item...can't be fixed....it's a lemon.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Maybe cause its a 2000 model year and out of basic warranty??

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Does the Lemon law not apply to the drive train warranty as well?

Reply to
TBone

on a 2000 ??????

you're even dumber than I thought

Reply to
TranSurgeon

SO what? The POWERTRAIN has 10 years or100,000 miles

Reply to
NerdRevenge

Even if it did, that's a limited extension to the warranty (gotta read the fine print).

Most lemon laws are restricted to the first 2 or 3 years, or 24,000-36,000 miles (varies by state). Here in NJ, for example, it's 2/24K. There is NO state that has a lemon law that extends out 5 years... that's just rediculous.

But that's it - you didn't ask. Asking would be, "would that be covered under your state's Lemon Law?". Your 'question', "why don't you just go after them under the lemon law and get your money back?" reads, to me anyway, "hey, idiot - just hire an attorney and sue them for your money". Here's another example:

Poster: My transmission won't shift into overdrive. Me: Why don't you just put some kerosene in it to clean it out? You: Hey moron, that isn't going to fix his problem Me: Well, I didn't know - that's why I asked.

Now - in that example, was I really asking if kerosene in the ATF would fix his problem, or was I just being completely ignorant about the situation, and assuming I knew a lot more than I did?

P.S. - 150%

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Nope. 3/36 only if I remember correctly.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Since when? This isn't a Hyundai... (or was that Kia?)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

There is always the fine print.

Why should it be ridiculous? If they warranty it for 7 years, then they damn well should be forced to honor it and if they can't, then they should either replace it or give the owner his money back. What exactly is the purpose of a warranty if they have no intention of honoring it.

The funny thing here is that your comprehension of what I said really doesn't mean anything and BTW, was wrong. If I meant to say what you thought I said, your translation is pretty much exactly how I would have said it.

LOL, I don't know, only you can really answer that one. Since we have no idea why the transmission would not shift into overdrive, your example is kinda dumb. Now if the poster said that the fluid was gunked up and the trans would not shift into OD, then your response could possibly be a question as to if a cleanout would clear the problem. In my case, the Lemon Law does exist to help with this specific problem (unable to repair the same warranty item multiple times) and what I asked was a question as to would it work for him since the drive train (the part still under warranty) was the problem. Denny answered it clearly and to the point. There was simply no need for a response like Gary's other than he just likes being an asshole.

Reply to
TBone

Oh well, that sucks. Thanks for the response.

Reply to
TBone

Not arguing that point, but that's not a lemon law situation. Again - they only apply to the first few years of ownership.

Not any dumber than suggesting a Lemon Law claim after more than five (or up to 7, by your thinking) years of ownership.

But this 'specific' problem is on a vehicle WELL beyond the Lemon Law period. You might have just as well advised him to use that 'Buyer's Remorse' law that most states also have on the books.

Again, it's all in the interpretation. I interpreted Gary's response as, "No, TBone - a Lemon Law claim wouldn't be valid against a 5 year old vehicle". Maybe you're just looking for things to complain about... :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Mr. Clinton?!?!? MR. CLINTON??? Come on out now, its ok..... thats right, the hearings are over, you're a former president now. Its ok, you can stop talking.... THWIPPPP(sound of tranq dart hitting muscle) OK boys, on three, lets get him in the truck.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Fine, I didn't know that. I never had to use it, just knew that it existed.

In what way, a lemon is a lemon. Please point to the definition that claims only a new car can be or become a lemon.

Buyers remorse is obviously something that is delt with in the begining of the purchase. A lemon is a lemon and the Lemon law deals with multiple attempts of the same warranty repair. There is nothing obvious in it having a time limit prior to the end of the warranty.

Oh, bull shit Tom. "you're even dumber than I thought" is nothing more than an asshole comment made because he just acts that way to people he doesn't like. I guess that's the same reason you do what you do as well.

Reply to
TBone

T-Bone:

Five years is patently ridiculous! First of all, Lemon Laws vary from state to state, there is no uniformity in time and mileage nor in the relief the consumer is entitled to.

Secondly, a lemon is commonly defined in the industry as a vehicle that for whatever reason has been improperly assembled and thus causes the owner an inordinate amount of aggravation in getting corrected. Having said that, a "true" lemon would exhibit it's flaws early on in the ownership experience, thus the reason for the time limit in state lemon laws. Problems that occur later in the vehicles life can (and many times do!) occur due to the owner's driving habits, lack of maintenance, etc. which I'm sure (hmmmm maybe not!) even you would agree are NOT the manufacturers responsibility.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

A lemon is a car that, despite being NEW, needs more repair than an old car. Why else would it be a lemon? In addition, if you actually read these laws, (which you admitted you hadn't) they DEFINE a lemon as a new car within certain time limits from purchase.

WTF do you ask for us to beat you about the head with facts so easily accessed?

Reply to
Max Dodge

Gladly... as an example (since the laws vary slightly from state to state), let's look at NJ. Take a look at

and read the second paragraph. You'll notice they specifically say "applies to new cars", and mention nothing about used vehicles.

There is to anyone who's bothered to do a half a minute's worth of research before offering advice on it, or maybe reading the little handbook that comes with any new vehicle purchase.

By the way - how is the restrictions of Buyer's Remorse any more obvious than the limitations on the invocation of a Lemon Law claim?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I am aware of that and that is why I asked the question but thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Thank you for the industry definition. That make a few things clearer

experience,

Fair enough but that still doesn't change the fact this particular would fit within the Lemon Law conditions with the exception to age of the vehicle. The part is still under warrantee and multiple attempts to repair the same problem have been unsuccessful.

If the failure occurs do to the above conditions then yes, I do agree but that has nothing to do with the problem here. The problem here is that they have been unable to fix the problem after repeated attempts even though the part is still under warrantee and they ARE responsible to make whatever repairs they do perform correctly or make good to the customer in some way. Do you not agree?

Reply to
TBone

Unless I missed something which is entirely possible, he is the origional owner of the vehicle so it is not a used vehicle unless you are indicating that he used it bit that would make it a used vehicle the minute he drove it off of the lot and the law would apply to nobody. Perhaps you might want to look at the third paragraph where it tlaks about the federal breech of warranty laws that also use the three repair attempt condition. Even though the State lemon law might not help him, the Federal one might.

I simply gave a suggestion and I don't recall the handbook talking about any federal breach of warranty laws, perhaps because I never needed to bring the truck in for anything but the converter well after the factory warranty was done.

Because Buyer's remorse is what it is and usually doesn't appear years later but a warranty does last for years and a vehicle can become a lemon (despite the industry definition) at pretty much any time.

Reply to
TBone