rear end noise

I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4x4 and I am getting rear end noise. You will start to hear it at 30 mph and gets real noticable @ 50, but at 70
it is less noticable. It does not seem to change in pitch with speed. It is like a hum.... When putting under load is when you will hear it. At coasting, it all but goes away. There is 87000 mi on it. Any idea's? I was told that it may be a pinion bearing... Could it be that just there is to much lash ?

noise.
70
is
coasting,
that
?
Sorry but no, it's either a bearing or a bad ring and pinion. I'd almost bet it's a bearing.
Al

It is not the ring and pinion (not yet anyway) because it would change pitch with speed. It is very likely the pinion bearings with the one closest to pinion head being the likley cause here. Second choice would be carrier bearings. It will be one of those two things. As a foot note as bearings wear they can damage ring and pinion over time but yours may not be damaged yet because of sound reported. Get this repaired before it does take them out too. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

I'm with Al, bearing.

Are you positive that it isn't a u-joint?
beekeep
djobelius wrote:

Bearing. Dodge trucks are famous for this. Yours lasted longer than both of mine, though. Crawl under there and grab the drive shaft. Try and turn it. If you can turn it a measurable amount, you need a diff rebuild. That will cost you about $850 around here. If you don't have limited slip, now is the time to add it.
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Sounds like junk in the trunk.