1978 Spider Speedometer Cable

I have a 1978 Spider that needs a speedometer cable. I am told that my cable was a limited production run. It seems that the typical cable length is about 65 inches, but mine measures 48 inches. It is a
clip-on cable, not a screw-on.
So far I have not been able to locate a supplier that has a 48 inch clip-on cable. I therefore might need to use the 65 inch cable. Has anyone had to deal with this? How is the 65 inch cable routed? I can't just run it the same way as the old cable, it is 18 inches too long!
Any Spider 2000 owners, how is your speedo cable routed?
Thanks
Brian

<Snip>
<Snip>