Speedometer cable

Speedometer stopped working yesterday. Yesterday evening, I disconnected the speedometer cable from speedometer. Removed the driver's side duct and duct panel from dash. Extended the speedometer cable throught the hole in the dash where the duct panel was.

This morning, drove to work. Noticed the internal cable was turning/rotating. However, the end that turns the speedometer in the cable seems to far sunk in to connect to the speedometer. Guessing that the speedometer cable external portion is stretched out. Now what?

88 Fox wagon. Backup speedometer available in garage.
Reply to
Jonny

none2u

Then why is the inside part turning if its broken???

Reply to
Jonny

did you examine the cable to see if the outer sheath/casing/cover/conduit to see if it did stretch somewhere? I guess it is possible. I wonder if there is a clip that holds the inner part from shifting up or down in the casing and maybe it broke. How far down is it and can you easily & gently pull it up with some needle nose pliers?

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Slight discoloration in a few spots. No apparent appearance of stretching. Guessing the exterior side is stretched some myself. No evidence of any mechanism to maintain the inside aligned with outside, except for the brass "nut?" at the end of the cable speedometer end just before the clip that holds it to the speedometer. Have tried standard needlenose and a pair of "baby" sized needlenosed pliers. Neither are skinny enough to access the end of the inner part. Guess I'll have to pull all out and try to squash the outer part together. The speedometer cable was found to have the wrong gearing back when I bought it. Speedometer was reading way to fast. Replaced with gear less teeth, tests accurate per odometer. That was a decade ago. Guess I'll look for a new or less used cable even if I can make the old one work again.

Reply to
Jonny

Found replacement cable on internet at a VW parts outlet site. Its the one piece, not the 2 parter. Just getting "discontinued" from VW parts at local VW dealer. Used/salvage yards just gave me deer in headlights look, then say they don't have it.

Reply to
Jonny