1984 Firebird Headlight problem

OK, here goes. I have an 84 firebird.. I had an alarm installed on it awhile back, and a few months after I had the alarm installed, it must have shorted out or something... no big deal. but when I armed the alarm for the last time, the headlights started to pop up with the beep of the alarm. ever since the will not pup up or go down or turn on unless I supply 12 volts to the correct spot on the relay located by the passenger headlight under the hood. I thought it was a switch, so I replaced it and still no luck. I tested the wiring at the switch, there is a larger gauge pinkish wire running into the switch which I thought was supposed to be the power source. no voltage though. I supplied 12 volts to the connector where the large pink wire runs and the headlights popped up with the switch, but would not go back down until I killed the power and reapplied it. I have a wiring diagram that shows 3 relays, 2 at the headlights (which I could find only one) and an "isolation relay" location unknown. I am thinking that this illusive relay is my problem, being stuck on a posistion where it will not supply voltage to my switch. Any ideas would be appreciated, also is there a fusible link somewhere in that car for the lights?

ps, the tailights, turn signals, and hazards work. but the dome light does not unless I supply 12 volts at the switch.

Reply to
royonic

My guess is a relay, get a voltmeter and your wiring diagram and check them, start with the one you said you could apply power to and make the lights work. I am not familiar enough with the '84 to help you with the other relay locations. >>THIS IS NOT SPAM< I am a moderator on a website that I'm sure has tons of people to help out, if you want the link let me know.

Reply to
JEREMY WALSH

I know this site is about Fieros but all 1984-1986 model Fieros use a similar headlight system to the 1982-1986 Firebirds. So this might help

FBR