headlight problem daihatsu hijet

Can anyone help identify a problem with the nearside headlight on a

1997 hijet van. Nearside full beam stopped working recently, dipped beam still ok. Occasionally when switching to full beam neither come on, though usually offside works ok. Changed to new bulbs and sprayed contact cleaner into bulb plug that connects to bulb to clean contacts, but problem still the same. There seem to be sub-fuses mentioned in the driver handbook but couldn't find them and don't think they separate functions into full/dipped beam.

Will check wiring in the connector to the bulb - anything else obvious it might be?

Thanks.

Reply to
seabreeze

Relay(s)?

Reply to
Mark W

I had thought about relays, but not had a problem with a relay before, and don't have a wiring diagram or manual to help identify where they would be. Any idea what it might look like?

Reply to
seabreeze

cleanerinto bulb plug that connects to bulb to clean

If it is a connector problem, the only product that will fix it everytime is DeoxIT

Avavilable at RadioShack, Fry's and other places
contact cleaners just remove surface contmaination. DeoxITactually improves the connection.Mike

Reply to
shaq

Guaranteed. Collect your gold plated cable and your green cd pen at the same time for even greater savings

Reply to
Duncan Wood

At a guess, in one of the fuse boxes, either under the dashboard or under the bonnet somewhere. With luck the fusebox cover will be labelled. The relay itself will be either a black box about 1" or so square, if you pull one out of its socket there will be five pins at the bottom.

Usually relays give no trouble but I've known one simply burning out and failing, so it can happen.

Reply to
Mark W

Full beam and dips are usually fused separately. You need to find and check fuses JOhn

Reply to
John

Problem solved!! One of the contacts that connects to the back of the bulb had broken down/corroded inside. Fixed by wiring in a new bulb holder/connector for the miserly sum of =A32.14.

In trying to resolve the issue I did have a really good look around (not easy in the cramped cab space of a hijet) for the relays and separate fuses but didn't find them. I'm thinking I might have had to start dismantling the dash - fortunately for now that isn't necessary, though sometimes when the simple solution to a problem seems to work, I remain sceptical for a time that it really is fixed. Thanks for all the advice.

Reply to
seabreeze