1997 Trans Am fuel problem

Hello everyone I have a 97 Trans am that ran completely dry of fuel,I have filled it with fuel,tried to start it but it will not start,always started great till it
ran dry,someonr has told me that there is a reset button,looked all over but cannot locate,please can someone help,need my car for work,
Thanx Norm
bluesmanxxx wrote:

Might have fried the fuel pump. That can happen when you run a fuel injected car dry.

If that someone meant replace the fuel pump when he said, "reset button" then yes. He is most likely correct. You'll need to turn the key to the on position and listen for sounds from the fuel pump. If you don't hear the pump whine, you'll need to figure out why. If it coincides with running out of gas, then it's almost certain that your pump is dead.
-Bruce
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca says...

The fuel pump uses the gas inside the tank to cool it. It sounds like you fried the fuel pump since you ran the tank empty.
Have fun, as the tank is above the rear axle and you need to remove lots of things to drop the tank to replace the pump.
Dennis Smith
Or you can cut the body sheetmetal from above *CAREFULLY* and access the fuel pump. A good google search will provide instructions and pictures.
bluesmanxxx wrote:

    Ford is the one with a "reset" button. It's called an enertia switch. Designed to shut off power to the fuel pump incase of accidents. Yet a pain in the butt if you off road with a ford truck. As landing from a good jump can cause the switch to shut down the fuel pumps.
Charles
"" wrote: > Hello everyone > I have a 97 Trans am that ran completely dry of fuel,I have > filled it with > fuel,tried to start it but it will not start,always started > great till it > ran dry,someonr has told me that there is a reset > button,looked all over > but cannot locate,please can someone help,need my car for > work, > > Thanx Norm
Hi there! I Also have a 97 transam. I just had the same problem! You should first try to the fuel filter which is located underneath the car about middleways. when you run dry if you have any trash in the tank it will pull it threw and get stuck. if that does not work under the hood on top of the intake there is a fuel regulator replace it. and f your problem continues then you have a bad fuel pump. the fuel pump is very expesive and difficult to put in if you do it the right way.