'74 trans am with hei - how rare? How to test hei coil? Why no '70-3 reprod front nose? ARRGH!! 1 piece '70-3 glass nose & lower valance IS AVAILABLE!

Anyone ever see a '74 t/a (OR '74 Z28 FOR THAT MATTER) with optional factory HEI? All others I have seen have points/condenser. Mine has it with 400 engine
The car has 194,000 miles with original HEI coil! Runs good! How much longer will this COIL last? Can I test it somehow? Should I get a Summit hi perf hei coil? I SUSPECT THE CURRENT "AC DELCO" COILS ARE FROM CHINA!!! - ARRGH!!! lol WHY IN THE WORLD DOESN'T SOMEONE MAKE REPRODUCTION '70-3 firebird NOSE & GRILLS?
I would like to change my nose to the '70-3 nose. If they can't make an endura nose, why not a steel one like on the '72 lemans nose? COULD GM BE PREVENTING CLASSIC INDUSTRIES, the paddock ETC. FROM GETTING THE ORIGINAL TOOLING/MOLDS/BLUEPRINTS? WHY?
HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING FITTED TO A 2ND GEN FIREBIRD?------->>>>>
http://www.texastransams.com/images/fiberglass/70-73_bumper_valance.jpg
in http://www.texastransams.com/parts/fiberglass.htm
MAN! WISH THEY MADE THAT IN STEEL WITH HEADLITE BUCKETS BUILT IN & GRILL MOUNTING TABS!!
BUT BEING FIBERGLASS that would take a TREMENDOUS amount of weight off the front end because it bolts to the fenders!!! Even bumper brakets could be removed!!! less than 10 pounds vs 80 pounds!!! PROBLEM IS HOW DO YOU FABRICATE HEADLIGHT & GRILL SUPPORTS ON THAT FIBERGLASS PART!!!?? Expensive too. more than $400 + shipping - ouch.
MY '74 NOSE IS IN BAD SHAPE & VERY BADLY CRACKED. YES I COULD GET A REPLACEMENT '74 OR EVEN '76 NOSE, BUT I JUST DONT LIKE THEM
LASTLY, AS BLASPHEMOUS AS IT MAY SOUND, I SUPPOSE, TO SAVE A LOT OF $$$, WITH '74 T/A BUMPER NOSE & VALANCE ALL REMOVED , I SUPPOSE I COULD BOLT THE HEADLIGHT BUCKETS TO THE RADIATOR SUPPORT & RUN A BLACK GRILL ALL THE WAY ACCROSS & HAVE THE EDGE OF THE HOOD & FRONT FENDERS AS THE FRONT END OF THE CAR, LIKE ON A '70 CUDA OR 67 RS CAMARO, BUT NOT SURE HOW THAT WOULD LOOK. NOT SURE IF ANYONE HAS EVER DONE THAT BEFORE. lol
It might be easier to get parts for AMC cars than finding front end body parts for a '70-3 bird. lol
snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com says...

Yes. Most late production '74's have HEI. It was a mid-year introduction.

Its because there is no shortage of 70-73 noses. There are still tons of them out there. I can think of three or four still in the salvage yards and between all my Firebird friends we must have 15 early Firebird endura noses. One of my friends has three or four alone. They're hard to sell because they're exspensive to ship.

Doubt it. Its just a matter of cost and demand. It would probably cost $100,000+ for tooling and then it still might be a poor fitting reproduction peice.
Dennis Smith