327 with HEI

I stuffed a 327 with an HEI and 400TH tranny in my truck. Does anyone know what would the best timing be on this? Being that 327's didn't come with HEI's I can not find any spec's for that. I know I could set it to where it seams it would be good but I just am looking for someone who may have encountered this or has more knowledge (which would about anyone). Also I put a Holley Advenger 670 and a Elderbrock Performer Manifold on it. The rest of the engine is stock. Did I over do it there or possiblely can I leave it where it is at

Reply to
BoDiddle32

I guess the first thing to ask would be what year 327? I highly doubt a

670cfm carb and intake is overkill. I know a few with stock Qjets (can get up to 800cfm) and single plane hi-rise intakes on them.

As far as timing goes, I would start off at 8*. If you have a vacuum guage, this will make life a little easier.

Good luck!

Reply to
'65 Chevy C10

I am about 8* now..and it's a 68.that was a good guess. I tweeked it a little becuase if I mash on the pedal at times it gives a small backfire. That was a suggestion one fella gave me It seams to have power but I have a hunch it is lacking still. I am still fairly new with engines so I do not know all the tips and tricks.

Reply to
BoDiddle32

Alot of us are still learning... including myself. A '68 327 put out anywhere from 210-350 hp. Backfire thru the carb or mufflers? I would try tweaking the timing even more... say to 10* and take her for a spin and see what happens. The general rule (atleast from what I hear) is time it till she pings then back off. Like I mentioned earlier, a vacuum gauge is awesome for dialing it in. My '65 has a mid-70s 350 in it and I have my timing at 14*.

Reply to
'65 Chevy C10