Big Block Camaro SS Hood clearance ????

Hello Camaro Gurus... I am re doing a 67 RS Camaro and will be puting in a 454 big block when the car body is finished. I bought an SS hood because I love the
looks. I called the Canadian company Air Inlet Systems for some info on their Ram Air Box air filter. The guy told me that a camaro with an SS hood and a big block is going to be a rude awakening for me and I am going to have problems fitting any air filter under that hood, never mind his Ram Air Box. The manifold I will be using is an Edelbrock Performer RPM. Does anyone have any experience with this set up and if so do you have any clearance issues and what do you use as an air filter? I'm sure there are a ton of camaros with big blocks and SS hoods out there. Afterall the 396 came in the camaro from the factory, but not mine. Is the Performer RPM that much of a problem? He told me that the pins of the louvers on the hood come down and cause clearance problems. If anyone has any info on this that could help me out I'd appreciate it.
Thanks Gary
the performer is a little taller than stock and then the rpm is a little taller yet. will you be able to use a drop base air cleaner? get in touch with edlebrock, they'll know. I've used rpms but it was always in a vehicle where hood clearance was not a factor.
Thanks for your info. I dont know what a drop base air cleaner is bit I will call Edelbrock and find out. Thanks.
Gary
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (DA .) wrote in message

The base of the air filter:
Is bowl shaped, to hug the carburetor. Like the original big block and H/P small block open element air filters were.
I hope this helps?
Refinish King

Hi and thanks.... I read up on it and it sounds like it may be the thing that will do the trick. I have seen some that will give 1 1/4" drop. If I can get it to work in my application I should clear the hood. Thanks again
Gary

1968 SS396 cars had the same louvered hood that 67 SS350 cars had. GM made them work in there, with a low rise intake. Charles

Got a similar situation here on my 69. I'll hafta use a cowl hood with my RPM intake along with a drop base air cleaner.