Geico Insurance Will Rip You Off !!

Page 2 of 2

Depends who you ask. When I moved back to NY, I had to dump Geico. Progressive was less than 60% of Geico's cost. *Amazing* price spread there. (I also live in one of the areas of North America with the widest spread of prices on the same insurance products... Queens, NY).

settlements
Yeah, I'm not sure how they figure out those rates. I have my auto insurance through State Farm, which normally has pretty high rates. I actually called both Progressive and Geico a few months back to see if their rates were lower. Progressive was more that twice what I pay now, and Geico was also quite a bit more. We get a pretty good discount for multiple policies, good driver, etc.., but not 50%
I've heard a lot of folks bash State Farm, but they've been very good for us so far. Competitive rates and they also have a good glass replacement policy ( $50 for an entire new windsheild, or $0 deductible for repairable cracks ). I've had 2 new windshields over the past few years in our Camry, and it never affected rates.

IIRC State Farm auto ins. is only available to people who have house & contents insurance with State Farm. Or maybe that's just for NY State. Anyway, we looked at them too and couldn't choose them for this reason. Allstate wanted to put us in the ARP (we've both been driving less than 3 years), which would have been very costly (even more than Geico). There were a couple of others - I forget the names - who also fell into the "only if you have home insurance with us" category.
The truly weird thing is that when I first got auto insurance, we lived in NY (Westchester) and Geico was head and shoulders cheapest at that time. It seems like the decision "which company is cheapest" is totally dependent on your zip code.

Must be a NY thing. I have used State Farm for 28 years for auto, the last 12 with home owners insurance also. Greg

I think I started out with State Farm for auto only back in the early 90's. Since then added other coverages ( home, boat, etc... ). I think the thing they are actually getting more restrictive on is new home policies, they got hammered pretty hard in 2002 and 03 with lots of natural disasters ( the industry as a whole )
When the phone rings tomorrow morning:
Ding, ding, this is XYZ company. Can you make it in to start for this afternoon's shift. I haven't a car, so I'll leave now and pedal my bipper to work!
Refinish King

settlements
pay

Try getting a good job that pays over $10 - $15 an hour without having a car - and you often have narrowed your options a lot. A 9 to 5 office job where there are reliable trains or buses from your home to work is one thing...
But for a field job or a management/supervisory position where they expect you to work early mornings, late nights, holidays and weekends, and be able to run to the office or a customer location on a moment's notice, having a current drivers license and a reliable car or truck are often a requirement of employment.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
WiScottsin wrote:

Do you use your car for anything more than driving to and from work? Maybe he needs it for the same reasons. Personally, I'd rather not have to carry my groceries all the way from the store to my house.
Of course, as an umemployed person, he probably doesn't deserve to eat.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:57:06 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Mortimer!!!
Went to your web site and ...
and....
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gawd I would hate to go to your ER with dead skin on my lip!!!
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.mortimerschnerd.com
Scott in Florida
Scott in Florida wrote:

Thank you. I wrote all that crap to relieve stress. Can you believe I've actually offended people with it? It's been my experience among my peers that working floor nurses love it and administrative types think I'm the antichrist.
What can I say? It's a gift. <G>
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
awesome site mort - absolutely loved it and passed it on to those i know with my same (although somewhat twisted) sense of humour :)
thanks for the laughs
80z28

Administrators worry about law suits:
As far as I'm concerned, if everyone had a sense of humor that good Mort. There wouldn't be anymore need for law suits!
Keep up the good work, you missed your calling, look into comedy, if an idiot like arsenio can become a millionaire. You can make enough to fund the defecit!
Refinish King
PS
Just a note, I almost pissed my self!

Maybe he

my
I'm not implying that he doesn't deserve a car. I'm merely suggesting that perhaps it would be more cost effective to use public transportation if it is available in his situation. Most cities I've lived in you can be wherever you want to go on a bus/train just as fast as driving your own car, give maybe 5-10 minutes. Jobs that require travel usually provide a vehichle or reimbursement, so of course a car would be needed there. If it was an emergency, he could call a cab. His original question was that he couldn't afford to fix the car himself, I was merely suggesting an alternative.
Yeah, take a bus to the library and do some research, might wean you form the public teat.
john

settlements
pay
Yes to GEICO being a rip off -- "most claims handled in 24 hours or less" ---now you know why! I was hit from behind while stopped at a stop sign by one of their insured. He jumped out saying oh I sorry I ran into the back of you. Thinking I'd have no problems with GEICO getting a new bumper I didn't take note of any of the other cars around for a witness. Sure enough their story changed that I roled back into their insured! GEICO once stood for Government Employeed Insurance Company -- but the government employees got wise to their antics. If you're insured by them they give the same shoddy service and support sub-std repair shops -- all for your purported 15% anual savings. Go through your insurance company and get a rental car while your waiting for them to settle. Also get a complete physical for your lower back and neck.

Part of the problem here is that you are not Geico's client, you're just a nuisance to them. However I think there's more to the story that we don't know, for instance has Geico (or the other driver) admitted to being 100% at fault?
I had a similar experience with Liberty Mutual when some old bag smashed in the side of my '67. Damned sleazebags tried to weasel out of paying me for 6 months before I finally got my money from them. The bastards claimed I was partially at fault, even though when I was struck in the side by their driver I was sitting stopped at a red light. Fuckwits! Morla of the story being, don't insure with Liberty Mutual, they are sleazebags.
Cory

ROTLMFAO! Your definition of "hoser" is so damn funny! I put the actual meaning of the word "hoser" in my last post. That actual meaning is from www.dictionary.com
Poor guy gets his car wrecked:
Gets anally violated by the other person's insurance company, and the thread gets funnier and funnier.
LOFL!
Refinish King
PS
I hope this poor fuck is laughing as hard as we are, because I feel sorry for him.

Now that we're on to sex, a trivia question: What's a "fluffer"? :^)
--
TeGGeR