Idle problems....

What exactly controls an engine idle? My Camaro used to idle around 750ish rpms.. now its just above 500 with it dipping below 500 every once in a while... and sometimes causeing stalling... once coming out of my driveway.. once rolling up to a stop sign.. etc. What all of a sudden happened and how do I fix it? Thanks.

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Tazmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

On MPFI everything is controlled by the computer. The actual device that varies the idle is the Idle Air Control valve/solenoid. It should be a round cylindrical looking thing with about four wires in the throttle body. Chances are yours is gunked up.

Its possible that the car is just saying "Take me to the junkyard" too :-)

Reply to
Dennis Smith

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:33:35 -0400, "KITTvsKARR" puked:

Timing can change the idle.

lab~rat

Well.. I beileve I discovered the problem.. when I had the shop replace my exhaust... I had them check for any leaks.. cause I was pretty sure I had one or 2 by the manifolds.. well.. turns out the gasket was bad on the driver side.. and apparently the mech had some problems with one of the bolts and needed to drill... anyway.. they got it and everything was fine.. then I started noticing idle probs... well day before yesterday I finally had time to really look under the hood and noticed that immediately behind the manifold (about 1/2 inch away) were 3 bundles of wires that went from various parts of the engine to the dr side fender area. where those 3 bundles crossed... all of them were severly cooked/melted. Well.. took it back in and they kinda patched up the couple of bare wires.. and idle seems to be better.. not like new.. but doesn't sound like it will die on me anymore...but for no charge.. I'll take it.

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed w/o T-tops Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops.. or parts from one.
Reply to
KITTvsKARR