10 Solutions for Fixing Wrangler ROUGH IDLE problems

Hey All Jeepers,

For the past 5 months I have been trying to solve my Jeep's rough idle problem, and recently, I finally solved it! Since the problem is solved, I decided to document how I fixed it. Hopefully this will save some of you a lot of time, headaches, and maybe some money..

This article is geared more toward fuel injected Jeeps. If your Jeep has a carburetor, there are plenty of articles out there for solving rough idle related to the carburetor. Some of the info here will still apply though.

My Jeep:

- '89 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L TBI.

Symptoms:

- Idles rough between 1000 and 1400 RPM's.

- Possibly runs rich at idle.

- Consistent miss at idle.

Steps to fix the rough idle:

1)If your brakes are weak and your engine idles rough, the power booster for your brakes is probably bad! Replace the power booster immediately! This is what I ultimately did to fix my rough idle problem, which is why I listed this fix first.

2)Check your vacuum lines and hoses. If you have an older Jeep like me, a lot of your vacuum hoses are cracked and worn out. If this is the case, replace them all; it is cheap and easy. Make sure every vacuum line and hose is properly connected. There are vacuum diagrams in the Hayes Manual to help you out.

3)Check your PCV valve. Take it out and shake it. If it doesn't rattle, it is bad.

4)Check your EGR valve. Mine was rusted closed, so I replaced it.

5)If it has been a while, replace your spark plugs, wires, and rotor.

6)Do a compression test on your engine.

7)Clean your fuel system. If your Jeep has or had a steal gas tank, you need to take some action here. First, if you have an old steal gas tank, replace it with a polypropylene tank. The rust from the steal tank will clog the fuel filter and injector. Replace the fuel filter if you haven't done so in a while. Use some fuel injector cleaner in your tank (I did this two times). Finally, take your fuel injector out and clean it with some throttle body cleaner. I blasted my injector with the cleaner. I then sprayed the cleaner into a small cup and put the injector in it. After soaking it for about 20 minutes, I had a lot of rust particles at the bottom of the cup. The injector worked much better after this.

8)Check your sensors and replace the bad ones. All you need is a voltmeter. I summarized some info I found at:

info should apply to most Jeeps.- O2 SENSOR TEST: Should be between 5 and 7 ohms. If infinity reading, replace sensor.

- COOLANT SENSOR TEST: Should range from 100,700 (100.7K) Ohms at ?40°F to 185 Ohms at

212°F.

- MAT SENSOR TEST: Should be less than 1000 ohms with warm engine.

- MAP SENSOR TEST: A is ground, B is output voltage and C is 5 volts. With ignition switch on, engine off, A+B should equal 4-5 volts. Start engine and run till warm/hot. The voltage should drop to 1.5-2.1 volts with hot neutral idle. Also test A+C, should be 5 volts +/- .5 Volts.

- CRANK POSITION SENSOR TEST: With engine off, A+B should equal 200 +/- 75 ohms with hot engine. Also, when measuring voltage, volts should spike when engine is cranked or is running. If no reading, CPS is bad. Oops, disconnect sensor when doing ohm test...

- KNOCK SENSOR CHECK: Make sure the knock sensor is snug and all the wiring is intact.

- THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR TEST: I don't have the ohm values for this. It shouldn't cause rough idle unless it is causing your engine to idle too low. People with a bad TPS usually have idling at high ranges and the engine stalls a lot.

9)Check the purge valve on your charcoal canister. Look for some posts by Mike Romain for more info on this.

10) Give up and replace the engine with a Chevy 350.

Hope this info is useful.

-Brent Bogrees '89 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L TBI ? 33x10.5 BFG AT Tires '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L ? 31x10.5 BFG AT Tires

Brent Bogrees

Brent Bogrees did pass the time by typing:

Good list.

One more item..

If you can move the rotor from side to side then replace the distributor. (acutally if you can see oil building up in the base of the distributor it's also time to replace it cause the bushing is going.)

There is a writeup on my site on that.

Reply to
DougW

Bad booster? I want to know more about this. Is this the same for all 4.0's? KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Kevin in San Diego did pass the time by typing:

A bad booster creates one hell of a vacuum leak. It's the same for all vehicles with vac assist brakes.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The booster vacuum leak problem might be rare, but I think the boosters in Jeeps might not be the best made. Along with my '89 Wrangler, I had to replace the one in my '94 Cherokee.

One thing I wanted to add to my original post.. Before I replaced the booster in the Wrangler, I replaced every part of my brake system (brake lines, front disk components, and rear drum components), and the brakes were still weak. Make sure your brake system is in working order before you replace the booster. I did the booster test in the Hayes Manual, and the booster passed; however, it was obviously bad, so don't put 100% confidence into the test.

-Brent