rear end service

I just changed the gear oil in both 95 Z28s. One is 3.23 and the other 2.73.

With both wheels off the ground and rotating one tire, I noticed that the

2.73 acted very much like a non-posi rear end. The other wheel rotated in the opposite direction and did not turn the drive shaft.

Not being very informed on traction locking differentials, could someone clue me in on what I'm looking at and if the posi-traction has gone away, what would be the best replacement to restore it?

I've been looking at Summit Racing and see some lockers but don't know if that's what I want for regular street driving. I don't understand the difference between "open case" and limited slip. PowerTrax has a $310 unit which doesn't include the "carrier". I'm left wondering if I will need a carrier. The more I write, the more ignorant I'm sounding but that's where I'm at.

thanks

Reply to
Messenger

Look on line thru serch engines for pictures of Posi-Traction & Locking Rear Differentials.

In 82 to 92 F-cars I have put GM Factory type Eaton LRD's (aka Gov-Lock). While these have a governer wheel that is supposed to un-lock them at 20 MPH, a buddies 86 Z28 with one from a S-10 will leave twin black marks for over 50 feet. Im not sure if they will work in a 93 to

2002 rear end. If so, they are not very expensive(I sell them with gears for $150). Yet changing carriers is to be left to experianced people with the right knowledge, tools, and shims. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig

I think the G/L will work with my unit. It's a 7.625 and the following web link seems to indicate it will work; although it is rated as a bit fragile:

I'm thinking that the PowerTrax Right Locker unit could be a good compromise as it states the installation can be accomplished in a few hours in my driveway. This usually means a few days with some weird problem to solve. If I can tolerate the clunking and banging noises by this gearless unit and there's not another problem with my 100k axle assembly then I might be happy with the PWT-1931-LR (lock right) choice.

This Z is my cruiser with those high gears and I'm not into launching it often and it certainly isn't for race. The other Z with 3.23 gears isn't as pretty but with underdrive pulleys, hooker exhaust and J&R intake, it has the beginnings of something fun to take out on test & tune night.

I really want your opinion on the powertrax unit (summitracing.com and plug in the *PWT-1931-LR* search word) and any other advice you are willing to share. Thanks!

Reply to
Messenger

I Don't use Junk, Don't Install Junk or Advise people to use Junk. When it comes to Posi Units there's EaToN & Auburn. When it comes to Lockers there's EaToN & Detroit.

If you want my advise, grow a pair, get some used 3.42 gears out of a

4x4 S-10 with a Gov-Lock EaTon LRD then go racing. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig

Good enough Charles. I'll keep my eyes open for an S10 4x4; specifically the parts thereof. There's a speed shop close by and if the carrier you recommend becomes available at a good price, I'd be money ahead to have the speed shop put them in. If you happen to come by those parts and want to sell them, I'll be interested.

Reply to
Messenger

Try your local salvage yards. G80 is the RPO code for LRD. 3.42 rear gears are like a GT5 RPO code. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig