95 gmc rear end change?

I have a 95 gmc sierra with a 350 5 speed and it has a 3.08 gear in the differential. I was wandering if i took another rear end out of a automatic truck with a higher number ratio would i be able to use the electronic speedometer box out of it or would i have to get mine modified. And would it make any difference if it came out of a v-6 truck or not? Thanks in advance

Reply to
rebel

The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is what tells the computer (and your speedometer) how fast or slow you are moving. The VSS is located in the transmission. So, you'll need to reprogram the ECM after changing the rear-end to get the correct readings. A rear-end from a V-6 equipped truck will work just fine.

Also, let me know via this newsgroup if you swap em' out and I might take the old 3.08 off yer hands.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc, I've got a '95 that originally came with a 3:42 rearend, which I replaced with a 3.73 ring and pinion when I replaced the ring and pinion. (Actually the truck did it itself at 145k miles when I lost a single pinion tooth, but I went ahead and correctly upgraded afterwards :) ) Since I'm not OBDII, how do I go about reprogramming the computer to calculate milage correctly? Its a z71 with an aluminum 5 spd. thanks! Adam

Reply to
adam