94 Explorer power window repair

Got a 1994 4x4 EB Explorer. Having some troubles with the power windows. Seems that the drivers door gets stuck in some non-responsive mode every couple of months where the window is stuck all the way down. Depressing the up button does nothing..only noise is a electrical click and no movement. If I bang the inside of the door just below the speaker the motor starts working and all is well until the event happens again. Not sure what the fix is. I have taken the inside panel off and checked wires, etc.

The other windows are exhibiting a problem where I can hear the motor turning and eventually the window will go up...an inch at a time every few seconds. Two of the windows are like that and one is okay.

I saw the Explorer maintenance page that talks about various methods to fix the motors with inexpensive parts readily available at stores cheap.

I have taken the inside of the door on the driver side off before and was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers for removing the gear mechanism. My Haynes manual is not as detailed as I would like so I am turning to the group for experience.

Thanks,

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam