94 Explorer Power Window motor help.

Got a 94 EB 4x4 Explorer. Noticed that the drivers side rear window motor turns over as I can hear it however it takes a while before it catches and sometimes works.

Saw general directions for replacing nylon spacers in the motor on a explorer webpage. I removed the inside door panel and see the motor and understand that I have to drill out the pop rivets to remove the motor. After that I am not sure as to the procedure to replace the pop rivets so I decided not to procede any further and put it all back together.

I am asking for help from anyone who can explain to me what I do after I have the motor out ...specifically ...to re-attach the window motor I guess I get some screws, nuts, lockwashers??? Just not sure so I would like to gather more information.

Apparantly the window motor will slip out through one of the openings in the door panel once I remove the pop rivets but from there I am not sure what to do.

Thanks for reading.

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

If its the normal ford window motor its an easy fix. You can get a kit at the parts store to rebuild it for about 20 bucks. When ya get it out there will be two or three screws to take off the plate to get to the gears. There are three or four round plastic balls in there that shatter after a while. You need to clean all the old grease and plastic out before you put the new balls in. Then its just replace the motor with some 1/4 or 3/16 inch nuts and bolts, cant remember the size right now. If you are cheap like me you can replace the plastic balls with 7/16 nuts and save the twenty bucks. Good

Reply to
jones

I've never done an explorer but if my memory is correct as to what happens when you pull the motor/grearcase loose from the rest of the mechanism the window may zoom up or down quite fast from a spring. So be sure you have blocked off the window roller arms or whatever seems appropriate so it can't move on you before you pull the motor/gearcase off the rest of it. Another thing, but again this is not from personal experience, is that I believe the explorers use some kind of flat plastic "fan belt" sort of deal to move the window and sometimes what's wrong is that this belt breaks or strips. That might be why your window "takes a while before catching". The belt may be running thru the stripped parts till it hits a part that still has some "teeth". I don't know if you even have to take the motor out to fix that.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Thank you.

-Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

Thank you.

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

There are two pieces to the set. If its the gears in the end of the motor it is the easy fix. Hers a pict of this part.

its the regulator. This part.http://www.1aauto.com/1A/WindowRegulators/Ford/Explorer/1AWRG00049/306890&ovchn=OTHER&ovcpn=Shopping.com&ovcrn=&ovtac=CMPIm not sure how to fix it without just replacing it.Either way you need to watch it in operation and see what part ismessing up.

Reply to
jones