F150 Power Window Problem

Help! I have a 1992 Ford F-150 XLT - Power Windows. The passenger side switch will power the window down but not up. The driver's side switch that controls the power window on the passenger side will power the passenger window up and down with no problem. I just purchased a new switch for the passenger side (I know....I should have swapped out the toggle switches first) and the same symptoms are displayed - using the passenger side toggle switch...will go down but nothing happens when trying to raise. I checked and replaced the 20 amp fuse....still no change.

Any suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated!

Thank, H. Seldon

Reply to
Hari Seldon

It's the 3 little rollers in the gear motor head that are crushed. Here's a fixing guide:

Use the 3-pack of nylon rollers for about $4 you can get on the Motormite HELP! rack at most auto parts stores; use those INSTEAD of the metal nuts recommended in the article.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

And if it's not the gear motor rollers or the switches or the fuse, it's something in the wiring or the connectors (at motors or switches).

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

"Hari Seldon" wrote in news:2kO7f.14443$vk1.837@dukeread04:

Remove the switch and look into the sw connector for deformed socket, also check for wiring integrity in that connector block.

Might remove block and do wiring tug 'n' wiggle test while switch is in 'up' position

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Power and ground supply to the passenger side switch comes from the drivers "master switch" when it's in the neutral position. If you really study a wiring diagram you can eventually get your head around how it works ;). The drivers side switch for the passenger window can cause the problem you describe or,a broken wire between the drivers door and body. Right where they flex opening and closing the door. Pull the passenger door switch (unplug it) and check for B+ and ground at the connector. In my pathetic attempt at ASCII art below, the o is the index pin and the x's are the connector terminals, the numbers are for reference. Check terminals

1 and 2, one should have power, the other should be ground. It may be terminals 5 and
  1. Terminals 3 and 4 should go to the motor.(I'm going on memory here).
1XoX2 Motor-3X X4-motor 5X X6

This will tell you what is missing (power or ground). Look at the wire colors. Then go to the drivers switch connector (leave the switch in place), find the proper color wire colors and check them for the B+ and ground. If you are still missing either, the "master" switch is bad. If you have B+ and ground you likely have a broken wire in the drivers door jamb.

I tried to explain this as simply as I could, I hope you understand it. If not, post back and I'll try to clarify it.

Tom Adkins

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I knew it, the "picture" came out wrong. Align the x's in columns and the numbers in columns.( motor-3x x4-motor got pulled over about 4 spaces to the right).

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Hey Sharon, I've seen you refer folks to lincolnsonline quite a few times. Do you hang out there? I've been a member for about a year and a half, since i bought my 84 Mark. Great forum with very little bickering. All in all, a really good bunch of folks. I post there when I "think" I have something to offer. Look at the recent "what are you doing for Halloween" thread and think trains.

Reply to
Tom Adkins