'96 Explorer Water Temp guage flucuating

96 Explorer with 101k miles - Coming home today, I notice the water gauge fluctuating between a half an inch to an inch while driving at a steady pace down the highway. It's been a couple of years since I flushed the coolant and replaced the hoses.

What should I be looking for? Bad gauge? Partially clogged radiator? Thermostat or water pump going bad?

Thanks in advance for your help. Ken Ken at I dash C dot net

Reply to
Ken

Let's apply some common sense to this problem...

How quickly was it "toggling"? If really quickly, like 1 or 2 seconds per toggle, then it is a metering problem. There is no way that the water temp could change or even the temp sensor could respond that quickly. If the fluctuation was more on the order of 20 seconds or more then it may well be an engine temperature fuctuation that is being properly reported by the metering circuits.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

I've had numerous problems with the temp. gauge on my '95 XLT. The temperature always seemed to stay low, and would not let the car heat up like it should. I flush out the coolant every two years. I replaced the thermostat twice with a Ford part, and the last time, used a non-Ford thermostat. The Ford thermostats don't seem to work well, but the one I bought at the auto parts store has been in for about 1 1/2 years and I have not had a problem. Now, it moves about 3/4" on the gauge periodically, but never gets near the middle of the gauge, only stays on the colder side. You might want to consider flushing and putting in a new thermostat that is NOT a Ford product.

Reply to
Jacob