96 Taurus 3.0 temp guage

The temp guage on my 96 Taurus with the 3.0 engine moves wildly from normal to hot sometimes, what could cause this and why?
Thanks
Steve

from
Water pump.............
Someone else will post the link in a few minutes......

Air bubble... remove radiator cap when cold, you'll see it isnt full.
The rad itself should always be full, that's what the de-gas/overflow tank is for.
My guess you are also experiencing erratic heat output
you pay..DEAL with it!