timing chain life on 97 v6 SOHC

I have read the past questions regarding the v6 OHV engine and timing chain life. I was wondering if the SOHC had the same setup. I have a 97 with

88,000. I dont want to wait till its too late, but if the chain life on this model is for the life of the engine, I wouldnt want to fix it if it aint broke! Thanks for your comments. Ryan
Reply to
Ryan

Ryan -

You might want to try a search on the topic in something like Google - there is a WHOLE LOT of discussion.

The SOHC does not have a chain, it has a belt, and tensioners that have caused many people problems. If you bought your Explorer used, it sounds like the fix was made, because you would likely have hear a whole lot of clatter by now if not.

Suffice it to say that there were more than a couple problems with the SOHC's cam drive system. Thankfully, most, if not all, were covered under warranty, or a program, by Ford.

Dave

Reply to
JustMe

That's incorrect! The SOHC does in fact have a timing chain, and a long one at that. It may actual have two timing chains, one in front and one at the back of the engine. The front chain was the one causing noise problems when the SOHC was introduced.

Reply to
Xx

Oh its even better than that. There are three minimum. Four if you have the

4x4. I'm looking at the service DVD and it has a diagram showing a jackshaft chain, two timing chains (one for each camshaft), and if you have a 4x4, a balance shaft chain.

Who at Ford dreams this stuff up? My Cobra has four chains, but at least I got four cams out of the deal. Doesn't a Northstar V8 have one *long* chain up front that makes the whole circuit from the crank to both heads.

Reply to
DriveSpy

The SOHC actually has 3...., yep three timing chains. Primary chain runs crank to jackshaft - from there the front secondary chain (chain cassette) runs the left side cam and the rear cassette runs the right side cam.

Safe bet with Fords... interference engines ALWAYS run timing chains and non-interference ALWAYS run belts (talking about the latest crop, of course).

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for all your help. How reliable is this setup. Should i have these chains replaced as Preventitive maintenance or is this something that should last the life of the vehicle. currently has 88,000 miles and knock on wood, running great. Thanks again- Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

These are a roller chain (single row) riding on steel gears..... my experience shows these to be really reliable (unlike the old "silent" chains riding on an aluminum gear with a plastic casing). As long as there are no odd noises (signifying worn guides/tensioners) I'd just sit back and enjoy the drive.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
dom