Transmission temp gauge 02 Explorer

2002 Explorer 4-dr XLT V-8 tow-pkg 65K-miles 5R55W-transmission 3.73LS

I like this vehicle. I tow a reasonably light trailer (3500 pounds, against a tow rating of 7000+ pounds). For a year now, I have wanted to add a tranny temp gauge, but I can't find anyone who is willing to pull the pan and braze in the fitting for the sender. This includes 2 Ford dealers, 2 transmission shops, and my general do-it-all mechanic. And if they don't want to do it, I don't want to force them to do it.

OK, so if brazing a fitting is real hard, then somewhere on the aftermarket, there must be a temperature sender that is mounted in a drain plug. Seems like an easy thing - drill and tap a replacement drain plug, screw in the sender. And it ought to be a lot cheaper than brazing a fitting in the pan, and then replacing all the super-duper Ford transmission fluid. But I can't find this, either.

Is there something happening that I don't know? Why is this so hard?

Bill Jeffrey

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Steve G