99 Explorer belt problems

I have a 99 Explorer that has an awful squeek coming from the belt. Its a 4.0 ohc with a/c. At first I just thought that the tensioner was bad so I replaced it. Then it was still doing it so I put another belt on it to hope solve the problem. Didnt work. The last thing I did was put a new alternator on it because I thought maybe the bearing inside was bad. After doing all this and racking my brain for the past six months I finally figured out what the problem was, the tensioner even with a brand new belt on it is not having enough tension on it. On the top of the tensioner it shows the travel of the tensioner, and there is none. Does anyone know any other way to adjust the tension on this model whether it be any of the other pulleys or a different belt from a different model. I have read alot of the entries on this website dating all the way back to 03 and this seems to be a common problem. Can anyone please tell me how to put more tension on the belt.

Thank You Dave

Reply to
DMitch

Did you try running it (very briefly) without the belt to verify that the noise is coming from something the belt is turning?

Reply to
Ulysses

Dave I had the same problem when I got a new belt from Advanced Auto. Come to find out they sold me the wrong belt. The belt they sold me was for a different model explorer.

Everett

Reply to
Cosmo

Reply to
DMitch via CarKB.com

I too got the wrong belt from Auto Zone, seems the "right" belt is a 1/8 in shorter, in my 97 sohc 4.0

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

Reply to