My 93 Explorer 4.0L V6 4x4 needs an engine - 95 Windstar 3.8L V6 needs a transmission

Will a 3.8L V6 from a 95 Winstar bolt up to a 93 Explorer 4x4 transmission and will the computer run the 3.8L?

I have $350 in the Explorer and the Winstar is taking up space at Dad's, he would give it up for a little cash to get rid of it. I am open to scrapping both vehicles and getting another beater but would like to get as close as possible to getting the $350 out of the Explorer. Bought it from my neighbor last week, needed freeze plugs and a thermostat, replaced it, engine is knocking and appears to have a bad head gasket.

Even if the swap won't work, I'd like to learn more about the differences in the two engines.

Thank you for your time,

Kirk

Reply to
Kirk J.

I don't know about switching engines and transmissions but I'd venture to guess from what I've read that it would not be easy to get everything to work even if the engine bolted right in.

How many miles are on the 4.0 V6? Did the previous owner seriously abuse it? These engines are generally very durable but blown head and intake manifold gaskets are common. Did you do a compression test?

Reply to
Ulysses

No.

and will the computer run the 3.8L?

No.

4.0 V-6:

3.8 V-6:

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Not sure if she abused it, may not have changed the oil quite as frequently as she should have, and ran cheap motor oil in it some. I ran it hotter than I should have in troubleshooting the cooling problem, it would fluctuate going up and down every couple minutes, so blame sits more with me than her. It appears to have a rebuilt transmission, she said she replaced the radiator and alternator in late 06, didn't want to put anymore money in it when the freeze plugs popped. Appears to have a new starter, has new tires. I hate to scrap it, but haven't really done any engine work before, only minor repair. I guess I'll start looking for an engine, might trade the Winstar for a good motor. I have friends that have done engine work who would help me do the R&R. I'll pick up a compression test kit this weekend.

Thanks for responding.

Reply to
Kirk J.

I'm a fairly handy guy but I'm no auto mechanic and I've managed to sucessfully replace the intake manifold gaskets on two Explorers plus a lot of other stuff simply by following the instructions in the Hayne's manual. I labeled EVERYTHING the first time but the second time I didn't need to. If you have low compression on only one or on two adjoining cylinders and loss of coolant it might just be a blown head gasket. Intake manifolds can leak internally and coolant getting in your engine might make it run rough.

The temperature fluctuation also sounds like it could be a blown head gasket. I put some stop-leak that supposedly will fix a leaking head gasket or cracked head and got an almost immediate improvement but I'd hesitate to use more than about 1/4 of the can of stop-leak or you might end up with other problems. In any case it indicated to me that it's worth fixing. The thermostats on these engines fail regularly but from what you said yours might be working.

Good luck doing the comprssion test as the two spark plugs on the passenger side near the rear are a bitch to get to. You may have to go through the wheel well to get the one in the back. A selection of different size socket extensions helps.

Reply to
Ulysses