2002 Explorer - Engine Overheat - Probable block/head leak - suggestions requested

Explorer core/freeze plug developed a sudden 3/16" diameter hole leading to engine overheat. Shop says that following core plug replacement the engine is failing a block test and they claim that combustion gases are making their way into the coolant. After cooling down and being towed home it ran fine when I filled it up with water and made the short dash over to the shop.

vehicle is 110k miles, ok condition, but probably needs an A/C tuneup and has a few other minor issues. Some of the trim on the exterior is either peeling or faded. I'm probably looking to not pay to have it fixed, but trade it in and buy a replacement.

I'm going to get the car back tomorrow and I think I'll drive it some this weekend to see if I can confirm there is a leak. I know the guys that own the shop and they are probably telling me the truth.

  1. Has anyone had any luck getting some help from the factory in dealing with a significant engine issue this long out of warranty?

  1. I won't sell this car to an individual, but looking for thoughts / suggestions as to what I should/need to tell a dealership when trading in on the overheat and presumed engine/coolant leak.

  2. I like the fact that the Explorer has the fold out rear seat for 2 extra people on occasion. I've only just started researching replacement options and looking for vehicles with 5 +2 seating.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Emerson

Nope. Out of warranty = Your on your Own. Unless it was a fairly common failure that they extended good will on. This isn't.

Tell them it has a probable failed head gasket and whatever else. Or do what most others would do and lie to them, then hope they forget it when you go back for any work needed. You might want to consider putting it for sale with a written list of what is wrong plainly posted. Get the new buyer to sign two copies of the list and bill of sale. But with the current glut of used vehicles out there you may have to wait awhile.

Reply to
Steve W.

No, never.

Tell them what happened. Maybe your head gasket is bad, maybe your head is warped, maybe your block cracked when the thing overheated. It could be a comparatively minor problem, or it could make the car worthless. You don't know, so you're going to be selling to someone who will be taking a gamble.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey