93 4D Explorer XLT engine problems

I have a 93 Ford Explorer that I purchased from family friends for $2000 last summer which ran great when I got it. But this past November I noticed a problem that caused me and still is causing me to worry pretty bad. I was driving up a 4 lane highway without any traffic on it that has substantial grade (6% or so) and all of a sudden the engine started knocking, the power went flat, and I dropped speed as I was going across the top of the ridge. Since that time the knocking has gotten worse to where when I start the vehicle up the knocking is actually causing the vehicle to shake and I can hear something knocking inside the block. I am wondering if I blew a cylender? Or what I might have done to it and what the solution to it would be.

I did take it into the dealership, they didn't even say what was wrong with it other that I could spend $4000 and get a new engine for it, but they were suggesting not even to waste money on that and to pursue another vehicle. Is it really this terminal or is it something I could fix myself in the garage (I have alot of hands on experience in technical related things so I could do it if I have time and tools)?

Brad

Reply to
B. Walker

Since you took it to the dealership, and they gave you an unsatisfactory answer, Go Back! Tell them that you want to know what's wrong with it EXACTLY so that you would know why they want to charge you $4,000 to repair the vehicle.

If the rest of the rig is in good condition, I don't see a new engine being a bad investment but those in the know may say otherwise.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

But how much do you spend on an accurate diagnosis? $200? $500? They can't just look at it with their x-ray specs and tell you what's exactly wrong, they need to start taking stuff apart. That takes time, and time costs money.

Can I suggest getting another vehicle for the time-being? In the meantime, consider spending that money on an engine puller/stand, some tools and manuals and pull the block yourself if you really want to know exactly what went wrong. Kind of puts things into perspective if your time is worth big bucks.

You can try getting an engine from a donor vehicle for probaby $500, but that's a crap shoot.

Reply to
sleepdog

The dealership confirmed it was a dead cylender but didn't or wouldn't elaborate further. My thought was did I crack a piston rod, were valves blown out or something like that. They also said that due to the age of the vehicle that they simply don't have the time to take out the engine, tear it down, rebuild it, and fix the cylender. Also that they can't get specific parts as easily either. Instead they only go out and get full engines and replace the whole engine, but at a much higher cost.

Considering now I'm getting about 10mpg for highway driving something is really a miss as to what is going on with the engine. I am seriously considering not even dropping anymore money into it to go out and get a Subaru Outback instead with much better mileage and great AWD. Although it'd be a sad waste to see this vehicle sit when there is something I could do in my spare time to fix it and give it to my sister or something.

Reply to
B. Walker

I can't blame the dealer for making that call, eventually they all turn into money pits and its no longer economical for you or the dealer to pursue it any further.

It's really not a bad idea to hold onto it and tinker with it in your spare time, assuming you have the spare time, inclination, space and funds for tools and replacement parts.

Reply to
sleepdog

That'll be the key, although one dealership that I was at when looking for Subaru's was willing to give me a $2000 trade in value on it. It depends on what I can get out of it trade in wise on whether I'll get rid of it or park it and get a few friends to come over and have an engine building party. heh.

Reply to
B. Walker