Please help...fluctuating temp gauge...

Hello. Last week my 96 Explorer began making a noise as I went to work. I wasn't sure what it was, so I left it with a nearby Goodyear shop to check it out. They said my water pump was about to fail...the bearings were shot. I let them replace it and the noise went away. However, now whenever I drive it my temp gauge fluctuates. It never did this before, in all the 3+ years I've owned it, and only started after the work was done. When I contacted the shop about it, they said the thermostat needed to be changed so both would work more compatably. I agreed to this, but the gauge still drifts. Despite being unnerving, it hasn't gone to either extreme on the dial.

Can anyone share some input on what might be causing this? Should I be worried that I'm driving in unsafe conditions? If I need to have it checked out again, I will definitely not go back to the exact same shop that performed the work. They left me with a strong feeling of doubt regarding their trustworthiness.

Thank you for any help you can provide, and best wishes.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

They may not have gotten all the air out of the cooling system. Park with the front end higher than the rear. Remove the rad cap and let it idle till the thermostat opens. If the coolant level drops, fill to the top with 50/50 mix. Be sure the overflow tank is filled to the hot mark. H

Reply to
Hairy