Replacing Power Steering Pump on '92

Hi.

My power steering pump is leaking and sounding kinda noisy so I'm planning on replacing it. According to Hayne's I'm supposed to jack up the front end and remove both front wheels. Is this correct? I don't see why I need to remove the wheels.

Also, Hayne's says I have to remove the pulley and to do so I need a special Ford tool. Is this correct? Do rebuilt pumps come without the pulley? If so, is there a makeshift tool I can use instead? The last time I tried to buy a special tool from Ford they told me they don't sell tools any more!

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

on the sohc v6 models secure the pulley with a prybar and remove the bolts on the 4..0 liter you will need a special puller If the pulley has 3 holes in it you can just adjust the pulley untul you can get your socket in and remove the bolts.

Removing the tires I have never heard of. BUT i am no expert.

Reply to
Darryl12