Tired of that damn radio display.

After fixing it for 5-6 time I gave up on the DIY solution. Now, where can I get a power board for the display that won't go bad ? Have they redesigned it to stop it form over heating ?

zoti

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

I am assuming that yours is the Mach radio -- would be nice if you shared that secret with us...

Pioneeer is the manufacturer of this radio, and sells replacement parts (1-800-421-1404,

Ordering P/NHWM5469 (around $90) gets you a three-board kit, one of which is the displaypower board that you need. Mine has so far worked perfectly for 9 months.That's about all the testimony I can offer.The only visible change is that those nasty high power resistors have beenraised about 1/4" above the board surface. This is standard practice forleaded resistors, meant to reduce board heating, which should have beenfollowed in the original product. But in a tiny space and without anyairflow, I suspect that the benefit is not much. Perhaps they also changedsome component values to improve efficiency -- no way to tell withoutschematics. One of these days I'll open the case and look for signs ofoverheating; hopefully it won't be because the thing stopped working... To be fair, not that long ago at least one person used to make a living repairing these boards. His cost was about the same as the (brand new) Pioneer kit. He claimed that his repair includes improvements and offered a warranty. I have never seen his work and can't say anything about it. If memory serves, the url was something like 'sharedmemory.com' -- google the archives of this group, if interested.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

I thought only one kind of radio does this. And yes, mine is the mach (CD and cassette).

Damn, for $90 I would consider going with a new head unit. Do you know any models that would work with the CD changer ?

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

I used the service of the person you mentioned above and my [repaired] radio is working fine. Wish I could say the same for my message center display, but that's another story.

Here's the contact info:

Duane Harrison snipped-for-privacy@ab-tech-inc.com

Jon

Reply to
Jon Maurer

I fixed it myself 5 or 6 times and it's working fine for a few months and then go bad again.

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

Has any one come up with a solution to this problem yet? I believe that I have this same system you all are speaking of. It's in the 98 Eddie Baur edition Explorer, has a CD & Casette along with a 6 Disc Changer in the arm rest console. Everything works but the display, evry now and then it will display all the LCD functions then poof, it's gone again for another

3 months or so. If any one has a solution please tell me. Thanks Chris
Reply to
cbroussard

Kenneth Fields