Headlights won't go off!

I have a 97 Explorer XLT 5.0 V8

This is a strange one. I can't turn off the headlights (or rear lights or dash illumination). Even with the keys out they all stay on, however much I play with the headlight switch on the dash, the stalk and the autolamp slider. Now I have to remove fuses when I park to avoid the battery running down, and put them back in when I drive off (if it's dark, obviously...)

A friend suggested it was a fused relay. But according to the manual there is no relay for the headlights. Is that really true?

Help! I want to avoid hours and hours of diagnostics at the workshop.

Thanks.

Reply to
explorer_man

Is this a Canadian vehicle?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Very funny. Actually, as it's now winter, wouldn't the lights stay off rather than on?

In case you're not joking...no, it's an American vehicle.

Reply to
explorer_man

I had the same problem back in July with my headlights only. I ended up replacing the DRL module.

Reply to
Si

Jim wasn't joking. All Canadian vehicles are required to be equipped with DRLs (Daylight Running Lights). One common failure of the DRL module results in the headlights being on all the time (another, as I learned from recent experience with one of my cars, causes the brake lights to turn on). DRLs are seldom installed in the US. Nevertheless, the DRL module only operates the headlights. If tail and dash lights stay on as well, it's probably not it.

Does your Explorer have the Autolamps option (lamps that turn on and off automatically by sensing ambient light and are controlled by a little switch on the rear view mirror)? If so, there is definitely a relay module, and its failure could cause what you are describing.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

As Happy pointed out, it's no joke.... FWIW, we aren't even near our cold part and sunrise is already well after 8:00 AM and sunset happens before

4:30. Headlights are needed more than ever.

DRLs make approaching vehicles much easier to see....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Happy Traveler - thanks, that's useful. Any idea where the autolamp relay module would be? It's not listed in the manual, though the car does have that feature.

I'm guessing it's not DRL as the tail and dash lights stay on too.

Alex

Reply to
explorer_man

According to my '98 EVTM book (hopefully not much different from your '97), the relay module is behind the instrument panel, roughly to the left of the radio.

HOWEVER, upon a closer look, I don't believe that its failure would turn on headlights, instrument and tail lights simultaneously, because there is a separate relay there for each of those circuits. The main lights switch is probably your first suspect, followed by the autolamps control on the rear view mirror. I would disconnect each of those and see what happens before going any further. If that doesn't help, I am afraid that you'll need the EVTM (or its CD version) for a more methodical troubleshooting. The Workshop Manual (vol. II) is also very handy, as it has a detailed, step-by-step procedure. It's way too long and complex to quote in an NG posting. Sorry!

Reply to
Happy Traveler

I have a final outcome! I am an idiot for not working this out sooner, but there was one obvious diagnostic check I missed. Apologies to those earlier in the thread who suggested this. The autolamp is faulty. I pulled the autolamp fuse and, hey presto, the problem is fixed. Thanks to all for the help.

Reply to
explorer_man