1981 Fairmont auto C4 Transmission.

1981 Ford Fairmont 6cyl auto transmission. It is a C4 auto transmission.
I started my vehicle, put it into reverse gear, there was a noise like a snap and that was it.
Looked under the vehicle to see if drive shaft was turning when in gear, thinking it might be the differential, however the drive shaft does not rotate.
I am assuming it is the transmission or could it be something else? I am not low on fluid check it regularly. This vehicle has been maintained over the years however things go wrong, and this is the situation right now.
Thanks in advance Denny
This probably can't help you, but you triggered an old memory. They used to make an after market device called a "snap band" that could be inserted from below without removing the transmission when the bands were worn out. It was a cheap fix that worked.