1991 Expolrer 4x4

I just bought an Explorer with 200,000 miles on it for $1000 and have been bringing it up to speck. I've rebuilt the engine and fixed all the squeaks with lots of rubber reconditioner Replaced all the fluids and
cleaned all the pans. New brakes and tires and front left ball joint were replaced.
I find that the front wheels will not engage although the front drive shaft turns. There is fluid in the diffs. Is there something in the hubs that may not be working? This is my first 4x4... Billy

Does the 4x4 light on the dash come on when you push the button to put it in 4x4 mode?
Yes, the light comes on...

Those automatic front hubs were a known problem. One or both of yours are probably bad. The cheapest fix is to install manual hubs. Last I checked the automatic ones were over $300 each. Bob

Wow...thanks! Manuel it is...Bill

YOu might be able to get "Manuel" to do the work for you but you'll need *manual* hubs.

If you are sure the transfer case is engaging the front drive shaft, the hubs are not locking.