Just bought a 2004 with 29,000 miles

I just bought a 2004 Explorer XLT with 29,000 miles (for $19,888).

I didn't get get extended warranty since it still has factory 6,000 more factory warranty miles left.

Is the reliability of this vehicle good, or should I purchase the warranty before the 6000 miles is up?

Reply to
Jah Free I

I often wonder about questions like this... Isn't it a little late to be wondering about the reliability of a this vehicle? You already bought it. Not addressed to *YOU* you, but the generic asker of the question.

To be more on topic; the cost of the extended warranty will be pegged to the warranty maker's opinion of the reliability of the vehicle the warranty applies to. IOW, it doesn't really matter what *we* think about the warranty, as the warranty's cost will be adjusted already according to the reliability fo the vehicle. If, for example, we all think your truck will fail 3 days after the factory warranty dies, the cost of an extended wearranty will be very high, and you'll need it. OTOH, if we think your truck will probably last until it has 250K miles or 8 years (whichever comes first), the warranty won't cost as much, and you'll probably not need it. So, check on the costs of the warranty from various vendors, and make your decision: does the cost match your desire to protect your investment? If so, buy one. If not, don't.

Personally, I've only bought one extended warranty for a vehicle, and it paid for itself on the one repair it needed and was covered for, for what that's worth.

Reply to
Big Bill

Bill..... after everything I've said in the past about extended warrantys.... I finally bought one - on Mrs mechanics new washing machine. I found out the computer board was most of the cost of the machine and figured that this (combined with the fact it lives in a water machine) might be wise.

I'll be the first to let everyone know how it works out....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well, I did say "for a vehicle". I've bought them for other items occasionally, and I don't think I've come out ahead. The most use I got out of them was for digital cameras; I've had two repaired under extended warranty. But the others haven't paid off, for the most part. But they provide peace of mind (strangely, for SWMBO, more than myself).

Reply to
Big Bill

SWMBO???? You go to the woodworking NGs by any chance????? Not often you see that acronym....

BTW, that's where I learned DAMHIKT!!

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ahhh She Who Must....etc! I'm a woodworker too.

Back to our story: If you have the > SWMBO???? You go to the woodworking NGs by any chance????? Not often you see

provide

Reply to
Ted

No, I don't do woodworking much lately.

I had to look that one up!

Reply to
Big Bill

I would get a ford esp warranty. I got a 5/100k Premium care for my 2002. It cost $1700. I figure it will give me an extra 3 years of coverage(18k a year). Thats $600 a year to cover alot of stuff that could break. If I don't use it great, but just one trans problem or ABS problem and your ahead.

Reply to
JaWise

I just bought a similar vehicle -- Explorer XLT with 22,000 miles,V6,

4WD, nicely equipped. It was a rental vehicle -- local dealers all had 4-6 of these on their used car lots, each of them with 20-25K miles, similar equipment -- looks like Hertz must be trading in their Explorer fleet.

Anyway, this is the first U.S.-made vehicle I have purchased in 30 years (except for an F150 that I bought in 82 and sold in 85) -- everything else has been Nissans.

I have NEVER purchased an extended warranty on anything -- appliances, computers, vehicles. However, I bought the 5 yr/75,000 mile extended warranty on my Explorer. The warranty covers damn near every part of the vehicle -- and I just bailed out my daughter to the tune of $700 for repairs on her Ranger's transfer case (which was out of warranty). I figure the price of the extended warranty is good insurance on my Explorer.

Jah Free I wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jahfreex.site:

Thanks! I think I will take them up on their offer .... maybe next month.

I'm new to 4x4s AND Fords, so I better act responsibly :-)

Reply to
Blinky

I bought a '98 XLT in 2000 that had 28k miles on it. It had a 60k extended warranty. I bumped it up to 100k warranty and am glad I did. The ball joints and some other stuff went out on it and the warrenty paid for everything and paid for itself. Make sure it is a FORD warranty ONLY, and NOT a 3rd party warranty.

Reply to
Ivanoff

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I just purchased the same vehicle and not even 35,000 miles into the car there were problems with the transmission. It happened when putting the car in reverse and would make the car jump really hard. I also bought the extended warranty, THANK GOD and turns out they are having problems with the 2004's and some type of sensors affecting the transmission. The dealership did a great job of fixing her and now she is as good as new. Just wanted to pass the note on to you, something you may want to keep an eye on. Sarah

Reply to
ak47sarah

Sometimes however when you wait to purchase the warranty it may be more expensive.

Reply to
ak47sarah

Just wanted to let you know the 2004's are having sensor problems which are affecting the transmissions. This has happened to two vehicles recently both with about 35,000 miles. On mine I noticed when I put the car in reverse it jumped. THANK GOODNESS it was under factor warranty and I also purchased an extended warranty. I have with every vehicle I have bought and they have always paid for themselves.

Reply to
ak47sarah

Depends. What kind of engine does it have? Any visible leakage around the seals or the transmission?

Most extended warranties are crap. You get better odds gambling in Vegas. You're better off finding out how much the extended warranty would cost you per month and putting that amount in a savings account. Then when things go wrong,

*you* can decide whether you want to pay to have it fixed or not.

Jah Free I wrote:

Reply to
Todd Grigsby

I may only be 24 but I have owned 5 vehicles so far in my short lived life. I have a 99 XLT and I have had nothing but problems with it.

I have had the Idle Control Speed Valve replaced under warranty (MSRP:

399.99) I have had my lighting go bad in the dash and in the door compartments (MSRP: 250.00) I have also just had my transmission replaced, not rebuilt. (MSRP: Who knows....alot!)

All of theses problems were fixed with my EXTENDED WARRANTY. Just be careful which warranty you buy, what your deductible will be, does it cover labour and fluids ( yeah I know...stupid that there are warranties that don't cover labour huh?)

I would suggest purchasing the longest KM warranty the company has to offer. I cant be more than $1500 - $2000 and if anything goes wrong you will be laughing. If nothing goes wrong, at least you invested $1500 - $2000 into your piece of mind with your new vehicle.

-Andy

99 XLT

Reply to
Teleplus Gatineau