1995 Taurus Air Conditioning Stays On

1995 Taurus GL sedan, 3.8 liter engine, about 72,000 miles on it. Several incidents of Intermittent grinding/squeaking noise from the engine compartment. The intensity of the noise seemed to relate to engine speed. The
last time it happened, I was able to pull the car over and listen with the hood open. It sounded like a bearing going bad in the alternator/steering pump or possibley AC compressor. The noise then stopped, and has not recurred in several short trips.
However, the AC now seems to be at least partially on when I turn the heater control to "vent", and my in town gas mileage is down about 3 MPG..
My best guess at this point is that the AC compressor clutch is locked up in the "engaged" position. Anybody ever seen this before?
Is the compressor engaged when the AC unit is in the off position? If not then your problem is elsewhere. If so, change the clutch.
TM

The
the
pump