1995 Tourus Electrical Problem

Went to start my car after work this morning and nothing happened. Got a jump from a co-worker and drove home. This is what was happening:
1. The ABS, battery, check engine and air bag lights came on
    -The ABS stayed on the whole time, the battery faded in and out,      the check engine and air bag lights flashed on and off.     -The lights were very bright also
2. Lost the headlights during the drive home, but not the parking             lights.
3. Engine RPMs were higher than normal
4. Transmission was shifting funny...sometimes not shifting, sometimes             downshifting (like when I turned the high beams on), sometimes             revving like it was in neutral
I'm thinking that it might be the alternator, but I have only had the car a week and I'm not sure of it's history. Anyone have this happen? If so, what did you find the problem to be?
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.