Occasional 1995 Maxima Starting Problem (Electrical????)

I have a 1995 Maxima that occasionally has starting problems (1 to 5 times a month). The problem seems to occur more often in cold weather. It does not seem to matter if the car sits overnight or has just been running. The large capacity battery is only months old. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it all the way, it doesn't engage my starter (but all the normal dashboard warning lights come on). If I turn my headlights on, they don't go dim when I'm trying to start the car. It "seems" that my key wants to turn just a little farther to engage the starter. When the problem happens, I repeatedly put my key in the ignition, turn it all the way, and pull it out (and sometimes turn the steering wheel a little). Eventually (3 to 15 tries later), the car will just start as if there was no problem. Any suggestions on what the problem might be? (defective ignition key switch, relay, etc.?) Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
Xtx99

Bad start relay, starter, or a bad connection.

Reply to
Jim

I have a 94 pathfinder with the same problem and I have changed out the Starter Relay and still same problem .. Taked to a machinic at the local Nissan dealer and he said the Starter Armature has a bad spot on it. and when you turn the key it sends jsut enough electricity to turn the armature over enough to a good spot (you will not hear this movement) and then a good connnection is made and the vehicle starts - sometimes it takes several atttempts of turning the key to get the armature to a good spot (connection).

I asked if it was a bad ignition - he said no its the armature inside the starter - and that I needed a New Starter installed.

My orginal starter lasted 7 yrs - it just died one day - I had Nissan change that one out 3 yrs ago and for the last yr or more I have been having this armature problem.

I am buying a starter from the local Auto store with a lifetime warrenty - Nissan starter lasted 1 1/2 yrs and it cost me 250.00 for the starter and then add the labor cost -- PURE BS.

The only good thing I got out of Nissan on this issue - was that I was able to talk to a Machinic - which they never let customers talk to their machanics - I was lucky.

He also said that one day - the starter will not start -- and you'll need to tow it in to the shop. I am lucky there - mine is a standard - i can push start it if needed. Now I have to figure out if I have to raise my engine to change my starter - I have a 4x4.

I also have a 92 Maximi - Never have had any starter problems.

So my 2 cents is - you need a new starter - if you can do the work yourself - buy a starter at the Auto Zone and do it yourself. Thats what I am going to do

-- I am not paying another 500.00 for it to last 1 1/2 yrs - 6 months past the Nissan 1 yr warrenty.. BS

Reply to
Robert