1996 Ford Windstar Speedmeter jumping

I have a 1996 Ford Windstar that is having speedometer problems. The speedo head jumps at all speeds and does not register correctly. I have put a different cluster in the dash. I have bought both speedo
cables and the Variable Speed Sensor new and see no difference. What am I missing?? Is there anything in the transmission that can be causing this? Thanks for your help Rick
Did a little checking around and found that the speedo problem was widespread, especially 95 & 96. The was a factory service bulletin issued, and replacing the units may only result in another unit that has the same problem. Although it would only take a little while to check the gear and verify it's condition, the problem may be more technical then that.
Follow a few of the results from this search and you will see there are a number of "off the wall" possibilities. that may require professional assistance.
Good Luck !!
http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/search/web/speedometer%2Bgear%2Breplacement%2Bford%2Bwindstar