1996 Mystique ABS / ASTC

My wife's 1996 Mystique (V6, 4 wheel disk brake, ABS and all-speed traction control) has decided to turn on the ABS and traction control lights just about every time you start to drive.
It's passing it's self test (lights go out a few seconds after startup) but most times they come on as soon as you pull away. Turning off the traction control turns on the traction control the way it should - and then the ABS light never comes on.
The OTC Genesis System 3 scanner says it cannot communicate with the ABS controller so I can't scan it to see which sensor is not reading properly. Is there any other way to test this thing? Or to simply shut off the ABS and traction control so the lights are not on? Pulling the 7.5 fuse under the dash makes the light stay on oll the time (no selftest). Pulling the 30 under the fuse makes no difference.
I checked all the sensor wheels - some had rust bridging between the teeth. I cleaned them up. The sensor mounts are not adjustable so I can't compensate for rusted teeth by closing the gap. The tooth rings are part of the front CV joints, and press onto the rear hubs - definitely not cheap to replace.
Any ideas from experienced ford men?
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

Try the forums at www.contour.org.