2000 Sable

Hi, I have a couple questions regarding my 2000 Sable. First, is there a way to manually retrieve the ecm codes like other mfgs, or do I have to get a code reader?

Also, has anyone experienced poor gas milage? The car runs fine, plenty of power, idles perfect etc. The car is only getting 13mpg and its the Duratek engine. TIA.

Reply to
rkm

Go to autozone or other parts store that reads them free, insist on getting codes, themselves.

Are you doing ALL City driving?

When my fuel reg went out, and it was running rich as he!! I got better than that.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thats my point, can I get the codes myself without relying on someone else? Like using a paper clip on GM's or turning the key back and forth 3 times on Dodges. Its one thing at a time, but if I can get the codes myself I would feel alot better. I am sure there is a fault stored, but if I can get the code and cross it I will will feel alot better. 13mpg is rediculus, at that point I should have bought a SUV. Oh and yes, I do mainly city driving, but it is pretty steady at about 35 - 45 with minimal stop and go.

Reply to
rkm

First, you cannot retreive dtc's without a scan tool, and second, a scan tool will be able to accurately measure fuel mileage, a lot more so that the old 'fill the tank and check the odometer' method.

Reply to
Ted

This scanner connects to a laptop through a serial port. I have been using it successfully for a couple of years now on multiple cars. Saves a lot of aggravation when dealing with recurring problems.

Imre

Reply to
im

I do mostly suburban/city driving, and get in the high teens. I guess the first thing to check is the air filter. If it's never been replaced, it's probably badly clogged.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Hmmm... how would that affect the mileage that much? I mean he says it runs fine...

listening to the "gas mileage experts" on the 6 o'clock news, are you?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic