2001 Escape Codes

Can anyone tell me how to test the computer without purchasing a hand held scanner. I heard it can be done with the check engine light or a voltmeter.
Thankx
Mark Wright wrote:

Not for a 2001 Ford. It is OBDII and you need a scanner.
Ed
says...

All 1996 and newer cars use ODBII, which requires a computer of some form. The old blinking-light method is only usable with older computers.