89 ford taurus

I have a 89 taurus 3.8, the probelm is in the front end the passager side. when i make a sudden stop or if i hit a bump the car makes a thunking noise like an inner tie rod will do. the thing is i replaced
both inner and outer tie rod ends, the same with my brakes and new motor mount. i check my struts there ok and my cv;s and front bearings are ok. im thinking maybe my lower control arm might be bad, does anyone have any ideals plus whats the best way to check for ball joint ware? kevin
"Kevin Vereecke" wrote: > I have a 89 taurus 3.8, the probelm is in the front end the > passager > side. when i make a sudden stop or if i hit a bump the car > makes a > thunking noise like an inner tie rod will do. the thing is i > replaced > both inner and outer tie rod ends, the same with my brakes > and new > motor mount. i check my struts there ok and my cv;s and > front bearings > are ok. im thinking maybe my lower control arm might be bad, > does > anyone have any ideals plus whats the best way to check for > ball joint > ware? kevin
check the ball joint and the half shaft
With the weight off of both tires grab the bottom of each tire and move it back and forth firmly at the same time watching the ball joint for movement. Any movement at all and it is worn. Your symptoms sound like a ball joint.

you have to jack it up by the brake rotor with the tire off and the lug nuts on to put the ball joint in the position it drives in (wears in). if you jack by the lower control arm the weight of the car will be on the joint because of McPherson strut design and unloading the suspension will put the ball joint in a different wear spot and possibly make it appear tight. what I find most often on those cars and Lincoln Continentals is the front track bar (rod from front crossmember to lower control arm) bushing is moving. look around the rubber and steel bushing insert for a shinny area 1/4" around rubber on the cross member. that would mean it is bad. Moog suspension parts posted a service bulletin years ago for it but there repair collar is a hundred dollars and we found just welding the old one if not too worn works just as good. I'll try to post the bulletin if I can find it