'89 Taurus transmission question

After about 135,000 miles on my '89 Taurus, I decided it was about time to change the transmission fluid. Thelocal Goodyear guy said he wouldn't touch it. He said that it's not unusual for neglected Ford transmissions to fall apart after having their transmission fluid changed. He said I should take it to a transmission shop and see what they thought. Before I did that, I thought I'd come here and ask:

1) Is he correct?

2) What's my best course of action?

Reply to
DFStoneJr

he's correct.. it is not that it will fall apart, but it probably has alot of dirt in it and some particles that are now lodged in a place that is not hurting the transmission might break off and then float around and then get something jambbed up and then it will not work... take it to a transmission shop and see what they think.. but remember if it stops working then they will be able to fix it.... ask them what are the chances of having problems with it if you have to fluid changed.

Reply to
jim

Agreed.

Reply to
C. Vaughan

I wouldn't suggest putting any significant amount of money into that transmission, especially if you have a 3.8L engine.

Reply to
Aron

============== get it serviced......

Reply to