'93 Aerostar engine quitting

I just got my Aerostar back from the mechanic (bad starter). I drove it about 3 miles on a shopping trip. On the way back, the engine just quit, but all my warning lights, etc still worked. I managed to coast
into my driveway (lucky), and it would not start - just cranked, with the AMP light and check engine lights on. Plenty of power to the starter, AC, etc, though. I let it sit for 5 minutes and it started right up. I'm hoping that it will make it back to the shop after Christmas. In the meantime, is there something simple I could check and maybe escape the usual huge bill?
Another thing - the deal with the starter was that it would start half the time, the other half just click. I replaced the ignition switch, which appeared to clear the problem up for a week, only to have the same thing happen again. I had the mechanic look at it because I didn't know it was the starter - in my experience, once a starter goes, it stays broke. Any comments on this?

cable. Look for corrosion. Clean and repair as necessary. Baking soda and water works well but they also sell a spray for this purpose. It could be very necessary to remove/clean/then reinstall connections. GL
Thanks - I'll do that. Could you explain, though, how corrosion/poor connection could cause the engine to quit, yet leave enough power to run everything else?
Brian

problems with intermittant starting, ignition switch, I would look it over like I said. There could be a connection to something, a power that the van needs to run but not start that is dirty. I dont have the wiring diagram in front of me so I dont know for sure on that van. Allthough it is not likely, it is worth a look since you have had these electrical problems.