How to open the door ?

I have a Taurus 97.

When I open and close the driver's door, the roof light and the light of door on control panel always go on for a few minutes and go out. I think that the problem coms from the door.

Although this is not a big problem in daytime but annoying at night. It is easy to get rid of it? How to open the door to adjust it?

Thanks.

Z. Du

Reply to
Zhidian Du

===================== You cant really call it a problem, its designed that way. You can always disconnect the switch in the door latch if it bothers you that much. If you mean it is sticking on at times then all you need to do is lube the door latch with WD-40 or something similar and lube it real well. What happens is, the switch in the latch gets dirty/dry and sticks. It is a very common problem. You could take it to Ford for the repair but they will most likely make you pay for a new switch and labor to change it. Not nearly as cheap and easy as lubeing it.

Reply to
Scott M

snipped-for-privacy@cs.nmsu.edu (Zhidian Du) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Uhhh, I think it's designed that way on purpose so you can see to exit your car safely???????

Reply to
donutbandit

This is not a problem. It's supposed to do that. It keeps the lights on so you can find your keys, buckle your seatbelt, etc.. They should shut off as soon as you start the car. It can't distinguish between entering or leaving the car, so it will always stay on for a bit. Even when leaving the car, it provides some light so you can see. On some versions, the headlights will stay on for about 30 seconds, too.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

If the lights are actually staying on for MINUTES, then you have a problem. If they're staying on for a minute or less, that's a normal function of the car. Tom

Reply to
Tom F.

You know, things you take for granted in the car go un-noticed until somebody jogs your memory. On my cars, the dome light has three positions. Always on, actuated by the door with a timer to turn off the lights, and always off.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

My 2000 Ford Escort ZX2 does the same thing....just like it's designed to.

Reply to
Pete