'95 Ford Taurus Ignition Problems

Got a '95 Ford Taurus that wont shut off. You are able to start it but to shut it off you have take off the battery cable. When you turn the switch
it starts just fine but when you get ready to turn it off it just wont turn off. I was told to replace a part under the steering column that looks like an adapter. Not sure what it is called. It didn't work. They have checked the tumbler and nothing is wrong with it. Help
You probably need a new ignition switch. Previous years had a recall and improvements were made but, after 10 years, it might be worn a bit.
It is inside the steering column, a lever from the key operates it.
Hope this helps!
PoD

"ka0tikchik" wrote:
'95 Ford Taurus won't shut off. You are able to start it but to shut it off you have take off the battery cable. When you turn the switch it starts just fine but when you get ready to turn it off it just wont turn off. I was told to replace a part under the steering column that looks like an adapter. Not sure what it is called. It didn't work. They have checked the tumbler and nothing is wrong with it. Help
The ignition switch is not located at the key tumbler. It is in a package mounted on or near the steering column, probably below the dash panel.
The far end of the package has a connector with wires going to the vehicle's electrical functions, including the ignition system.
The near end of the package has an actuating pushrod which comes from the key tumbler. Turning the key operates the pushrod.
A defective ignition switch is the most common cause of the engine continuing to run when the key is turned off.
Good luck.
thanks for fixing my bad info Rodan - they moved 'em since I last swapped one!
PoD