Ford Taurus 95

Hi!

When my car gets warm, it starts to smoke from the front. Before this, there was a high pitched squeaking noise. The smoke appears to be coming from the fan on the radiator. We took it to a shop and they said the head gasket was cracked. It has not overheated or had any other head gasket problems. The oil is fine, no water mixed. We thought it might just be the motor from the radiator fan. Could that be the problem? Thanks!

Reply to
Cheri76

What motor do you have? The 3.8 was notorious for head gasket problems. That said, are you losing water? how much? Are you sure the electric cooling fans are running? Its not uncommon to have a radiator fail. I have replaced two in my many Taurus's. The plastic tanks crack and they leak under pressure. It is also common to have a water pump leak and fail. You need to know exactly where the steam or water is coming from to help diagnose the problem. If you take the radiator cap off when its cold, is there any brown sludge or milky stuff floating on the top or in the overflow tank?

So, if you have a 3.8, the head gaskets is the first thing people will say is wrong. Its not the only thing. You need to get a honest mechanic check it out or do more tests if your mechanically inclined. If the fan is not running when the motor heats up, or squeals when it is on, your have found your first problem area.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

There was a recall on the fans on some 95 Tauruses. [V6 3.2liter at least] Mine just got done last year. I think the recall was issued a couple years ago.

If it is really smoke and not steam it isn't likely that it has anything to do with the head gasket.

At the same time, however, I wouldn't drive a car much with either steam or smoke coming from under the hood. Find out what it is from someone you trust.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht